Grain Mill questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snevey

Reaction score
So, I've brought up the grain mill purchase with my wife ever since I started brewing all grain, all to no avail. NOW she wants to start grinding her own flour since she is on a gluten free kick, due to a newly discovered allergy. Is there an adjustable 2 roller grain mill out there that we can "share"? Yes, I know it would need to be cleaned well between uses to remove the barley "gluten" from it.

Anyone have a suggestion on a product? Now that she wants it, it is a priority... women... I don't want a Corona mill, but I guess that would work.

Snevey

Get separate mills. Allergies are no fun at all and you might not get it clean enough. You don't want her to have a reaction to something you missed.

Corona style mills are not very expensive and will work. They may not work as well or as fast as a roller mill but the price is right. Look at conditioning the grain before milling so you get intact husks. Grain mill on Amazon. I have one like this I use for BIAB and get about 80% efficiency. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038NPJVG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not like it's Celiac's disease, so it won't kill her. The allergy isn't "severe" at all. In fact, she is just looking to reduce gluten, not eliminate it.

I guess I'd still suggest different mills. Ones made for making flour from grains aren't really made for crushing grain for brewing and while they might work OK I suspect you would be frustrated before long. Take a look on Amazon using flour mill as a key word and then again using grain mill as your key word and see what come up. Research, research, research.

Back