Ready to try AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Ok. I've brewed of a couple of extract beers and I would like to move onto the wonderful world of AG. I have been reading around on the site and getting some idea as to what is invloved but was wandering if anyone had a recommendation for a book or video that would be useful in describing the process start to finish and the equipment required? Also what is a good first beer, if it matters? Thanks for any input and/or advice. I would like to be gathering the eqiupment over the next couple of days so I can be brewing this weekend if possible.

You can check out brewing videos at http://www.freebrewingvideos.com/

John Palmers first edition book is free on-line athttp://www.howtobrew.com/section1/index.html

Both are good resources. I just brewed my first all grain this past weekend. It was quite a bit more challenging than brewing extract, but it was a more satisfying feeling to know that I can make beer from the base ingredients.

Good Luck!

Sause, that first link looks really good.

I know for new brewers like me, the thought of going AG seems a bit intimidating, so this link helps out a lot. Thanks!

You can also check out my all grain video in the link below. I'm going to make another one that is a bit more detailed for a non-AG brewer. My mindset during the previous one was more about giving other all grainers a little insight into someone elses process.

Making the jump to AG, as I will do soon, used to seem like stepping into some mystical world. Thanks in large part to the people on this site, I feel ready to try it out. Can't wait until my 10-gal cooler arrives so I can convert it. Thanks for this post and the many others which have helped me prepare.

well, some guys start out all grain...so with a few extracts under your belt, I'd say 'Yes, do it!'.

the palmer book is highly recommended.

Don't be intimidated by all grain. It is very easy to do and you can't even contaminate it as you still have to do the boil afterwards.

Think of it as making tea. Granny used to put the tea bag in her cup (lauter/mash tun) pour hot water (170-175) over the teabag (crushed malts) and let it steap (for one hour) she stired occasionally to get the water to flow through the bag (sparging) then when satisfied that the aromatics and flavonoids (starches converted to sugers then sparged to wash them from the grains) were transfered she would pull the tea bag out and drank her tea. (transfer from mashtun to brew pot.

As you can easily see it is like making tea. I have not viewed the videos mentioned, but watch the video and when you do your mash just remember it is tea.

I just did my first all grain brew today. It is also the second brew I have ever done my first was 6 days ago. The guy at the LHBS nearly refused to sell me the grain bill for a tapist ale the first time through so I relented and bought an extract kit. That is like making a can of soup!

Admittedly I have done a lot of canning and home preservation in my life and that may give me a leg up as I understand sanitation and what not, but in the end. Beer is simple to make.

Read up on the mashing process, then watch the video. After the video make a cup of tea and think of how it relates to the mashing process you are studying and it will help you see how easy it is and in doing so give you confidence.

There is a lot of science and chemistry involved in modern brewing, but you don't need to know much of any of that to make great beer.

I racked my first batch which was a cream ale to the secondary tonight. Took a little sampler for a taste. Of course it still is a bit green and all, but right away I noticed the flavor was very pleasent except for the heavy alcohol overtones. Why are they there on a low grav ale? Simple I screwed up and let it ferment at 72* instead of getting it cooled down to 67-68* where I should have.

Okay the point of that is live and learn. Now I know why it is important to stay in the lower part of the yeasts fermentation range.

Have confidence in yourselves and remember it is just making tea only you want 6 gallons of sweet wort not a cup of Earl Grey

Good Brewing - Robar

Robar,
Great "summary". I had the same problem with the LHBS, they "refused" to sell me the goods to go into AG. So I bought a couple of extract kits. But my heart is definately into learning and brewing from "scratch". Hope to get to it this weekend.

I'm curious how these LHBSs are "refusing" to sell you stuff for AG? Is it that they're simply *recommending* that you start off with extract to get the feel for brewing?

Hey DrunkenSailor

I found (on this site) the DIY instructions for making the lauter/mash tun out of a cooler. I made one with a ten gallon rubbermaid round as a mater of fact mine even has the home depot logo on the front.

The key is the good fello that posted it also put up a parts list that has all of the part numbers and everything. He even has photos of the parts in the order he put them together.

Here is a frustration saving heads up. When you buy that stainlest steel braided line make sure it IS stainless and not the silver plastic stuff. Look real close don't be fooled!

I am very pleased with the way my mashtun works even with one third of the grain bill on my brew being wheat. There was absolutely NO clogging.

One other heads up. When I started I poured about a gallon of 175 degre water in, then dumped in my crush, then poured four gallons of 175* on top of it and started stiring. within about 20 seconds I started hearing this scary cracking sound. I thought that the inside of my newly made mashtun was cracking.

However the outside was fine as was the inner liner. The big cracky noise had to have been what ever spray foam instalation they use inside the walls. After the brew day was over and I was cleaning up my equipment I gave it a three point inspection and all was fine.

Okay I searched out the thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com//showthread.php?t=23008

The only thing I did diferent was if you look at the picture those three big washers are bigger then the ones I bought. If you look at the spicket on the cooler you see that the base is round and is recessed into the side of the cooler. I bought washeres that fit into the recessed base spot. I used a reamer to make the holes (of the washers) just a smidge bigger as I couldn't get them over the nipple threads without forcing them.

I think I have a total of 71.00 dollars invested into my mashtun. The cost at your local HD my be different. I hope this helps you get your whole grain brewing off the ground. It is easy and fun.

I watched a video called "Easy Home Brew-How to brew beer with all grain". Kind of informitive, but I get more info from the book "How to Brew" by John J. Palmer copyright 2006. This book is loaded with in depth info which is good, but it also has alot of "Quick start" stuff that gets you brewing now and you can read the rest while you nurse a tasty brew.

Good Luck and Good brewing! - Robar

Yes. Thats what I got from them. They were just not that interested in giving me much info/help in getting started with AG. I can understand their position, it is probably better to brew a couple of extract batches to get the feel for the process. The guy I talked to was very helpful in getting me up and running with an extract kit, and did offer to get me moving in AG once I had a little experience, and I am planning to go back for that discussion.

I would agree that all grain is not that difficult once you read enough to understand at least the basics of mashing/sparging. However, equating all grain to tea is a bit of an oversimplification. I don't think steeping tea is anything at all like the enzymatic activity within a mash. At the very most, it's a good analogy for the sparge and that's it.

Mash temp is probably the most important variable to understand and that's why a book, thermometer, and (optionally some $25 brewing software) is the place to start.

bigjon88 said:
AG is pretty easy. I just takes alot longer, but well worth it.

I agree with this. The real thing is that at first your ag brew "might" not turn out as good as a extract brew due to inexperience with the mashing/AG thing.

But as you go through the mash and gain experience with how your grain reacts with water at a proper PH/water temperture and mineral content, then you will fully realize just how good and easy AG really is.

I guess what the LHBS guy really wanted was for you to gain some experience with homebrewing so you wouldn't be overwhelmed with the process of AG along with the general brewing process.
Still it you are game than go for it.

Cheers and good luck

Almost was the key word in refusing. The guy made a very strong recommendation to use a extract kit and when I veered from it he would go back to the multitude of reasons why a newb should use extracts the first time. No problem, I can see that as both customer service as well as trying to insure return customers, by giving them the best chance for a positive outcome with their brew.

Bobby Sorry you didn't like the analogy, I thought it was pretty slick myself. I know there is lot of science and chemistry involved in making beer, I just like to keep it simple is all.

Robar said:
Almost was the key word in refusing. The guy made a very strong recommendation to use a extract kit and when I veered from it he would go back to the multitude of reasons why a newb should use extracts the first time. No problem, I can see that as both customer service as well as trying to insure return customers, by giving them the best chance for a positive outcome with their brew..

Yep that's why we would like to keep you brewing.
I have been brewing extract for about 25 years on and off and only AG for the last 2. The last 2 have been the best brews of my life.
But with the experience gained from these forums, I can safely say no matter what, I'll brew good beer. Ag or extract.

DrunkenSailor said:
Yes. Thats what I got from them. They were just not that interested in giving me much info/help in getting started with AG. I can understand their position, it is probably better to brew a couple of extract batches to get the feel for the process. The guy I talked to was very helpful in getting me up and running with an extract kit, and did offer to get me moving in AG once I had a little experience, and I am planning to go back for that discussion.

AS someone who has put on quite a few demos and taught brewing to countless people (I'm definitely not an expert) I have on most occasions encouraged new brewers to stick with brew kits for at least 8 batches.

This gives you time to master sanitization practices as well as gain a working knowledge of yeast, hops, grains (mini mash) . There is plenty to learn about brewing beer without having to worry about mashing and such.
Many people are under the impression that switching to ag brewing will automatically give you better results. This most often is not the case (at least in the beginning).
I am in no way trying to discourage you, I am just in agreement with the camp that suggests using kits for a while.

Good Luck!

Yea, the LHBS by me gave me issues, or thought I was getting in over my head when I moved to partial mash after 1 extract brew. Do your research online and on these forums...then walk into the LHBS and tell them exactly what you want.

I found a great LHBS in South Philly so I go there now. I dont know the forum rules, so PM me if anyone is in the area and wants to know where. I just went there a week ago. I brought in EdWort's Haus Pale Ale recipe and asked him to help convert it to a partial mash. I had a pretty good idea of what I needed already, but I wanted his input too. He didn't give me any problems and i got my goods!

Back