I think I understand it now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocsimian

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not a question but a observation/revelation/statement. I thought it was nuts when I looked at all the folk's signatures and see how many beers they have in their fermenters. First, the cost of the carboys (or pales, or other mostly enclosed vessels), and then second the size of a fermenter in order to hold them all. Then the keezers with 4-6 taps, each with at least 5 gallon kegs on the other end. I couldn't imagine how folks consumed so much that they needed to brew that much without being tanked every night.

And here I am, after only 3 months of brewing - I've converted my old chest freezer into a fermentation chamber. I've bought a new carboy every month. I built a two tap tower kegerator and I'm kicking myself for not brewing a wheat two weeks ago so that one of those lines wouldn't be dry right now. I just brewed three beers this past weekend so I can be sure both lines will be flowing for at least the next few weeks. And I'm not getting tanked every night - just enjoying one or two nice tasting home brews. If there was a turning point in which one understands home brewing, I think I just crossed it.

Now I just need to master this art.

You have,however unwittingly,entered the brewing zone. Not a place of sight or sound but of mind. It will control all that you see & hear. You'll spend the rest of your days trying to master it,instead of it controlling you.

About the amount of beer... there is no way I can drink as much as I make. But my neighbours are always happy to assist or make an attempt themselves. To a point.

Brent

I started having beer nightmares about 3 months in - then you know you've gone past hobby and into madness

Funny comment about how it will control everything you see - I've spent the last three days looking at things thinking about if I could scavenge a potentiometer out of it for my DIY stirplate.

I made the same revelation a week ago. Now I am acquiring and upgrading like crazy so I have a good pipeline so I don't have to store buy again.

It's funny how often my words ring true. Yes it was a combination of Twilight Zone,& Outer Limits,but it fit nicely.:D

Back