Critique my Imperial Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmccague

Reaction score
Hello All!

I'd like to get your thoughts on this recipe. Wondering if the specialty grains will be too much. Any opinions/suggestions welcome.

Also - Think it'll be ready to give away by Christmas?

Thanks.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Imperial Stout 1.0
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.89 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.102 SG
Estimated Color: 65.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 73.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
19 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 79.2 %
1 lbs Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.2 %
1 lbs Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.2 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.2 %
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.2 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.1 %
8.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 7 2.1 %
2.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 64.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 9.1 IBUs
3.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 24 lbs

1lb of black patent might be a bit much, but looks good otherwise. is the rye just for body/head retention? you won't be able to taste 8oz

1lb of black patent might be a bit much, but looks good otherwise. is the rye just for body/head retention? you won't be able to taste 8oz

Hoping for a bit more body (and loosely followed the W Imperial Stout recipe posted)

Think the IBU's are in line? If anything I'd like it to be a bit sweeter...

the IBUs look good, you could drop it more if you wanted even sweeter, but i wouldnt go much lower depending on intended FG

How is this a stout without Roasted Barley?

MC

from some malsters (like Briess) black barley = 500L roasted barley

I agree with backing off on the black patent, I get a lot of astringence from it and have stopped using it all together. I do like to incorporate a little chocolate wheat for body though, and sometimes a little dehusked carafa

If you want to stick to a traditional stout, I'd cut the black patent & rye. With a beer this big, you'll have plenty of body without the rye. I like to stick to about 10% roasted malts in my stouts & porters.

Another thing to consider is maybe adding some corn sugar. I used 1 lb in my imperial smoked porter to help hit my target FG. With that much sugar from the grain, the yeast could get stressed & not finish out all the way. The corn sugar gives the yeast some simple sugar which is easily consumed. Don't worry about it drying out the beer because you'll get a lot of alcohol sweetness to counter it.

The hops look good to me.

Thanks for the info!

Any idea if this behemoth will mellow out by Christmas to hand out? I plan on brewing either this weekend or next.

I'm sure it'll be good by Christmas. If you brew this weekend, bulk age for a month or two, bottle, it'll put the bottles at 2 months old by Christmas. The longer you let it sit the better, but i'm sure it'll be a tasty brew!

I think it will be better *next* Christmas...

If you're going to go through all the work to make a beer this big, I think you'd be crazy not to age at least some of it a year or more.
Also, you may be aware already, but oxygenation and big starter would be highly recommended!

Back