were can i buy it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makingitgood

Reaction score
Ok i am a begginer, i have done some stupid stuff but now i just want to make beer... that acculay tastes like beer. were can i buy all my ingrediants together, like all in one container... and which ones taste the best? i have saw something like what i am talking about but i cant remember what the name is for them. its like a small pale full of male and other stuff, like the yeast and pre hopped.. sorry i am a noob... maybe ther is a web site that i can buy the stuff? any one no the name for what i am talking about?
thanks David

makingitgood said:
http://www.homebrewheaven.com/coopers-canadian-blonde---375-lb.htm
it says to make [FONT=verdana,arial,courier]To make 5 gal, at least 2lbs of additional malt or sugar required. so can i just add 2lbs of sugar so i can make a 5 gal batch? if you had one of these what would you do?[/FONT][/quote

2lbs of dry malt extract. Regular sugar will not make it any more beer like (per your request as seen in the first post).

Or buy kits from austinhomebrew.com They do an outstanding job and have hundreds of kits.

l recomend against one of the kits where you just dump on can of everything into the water. That being said buying recipe kits are easy and give you great results. Most of them include everything you need. (some even caps).

Someone had a link to Homebrewheaven.com The first good beer I ever made was with their IPA kit. It was very easy just follow the directions and ... delishious beer.

I have also made allot of bber from the kits at northernbrewer.com

If you still want to just dum a can into water and add the yeast, go to this site:
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=100

the ones labeled Master Class kits have everything, including all the needed malt.

hmm ok. how many gals would it make then, with out any extra malt? i wish i had a local store with recipe kits. maybe i will just look arround some more

Where are you located? You probably want to get a starter kit and then a beer kit. The beer kits include all of the ingredients you need minus the water. Look for a local homebrew store by you, if you can't find one then look to order online. I have never ordered a beer kit online so I don't know how they ship yeast or hops?

makingitgood said:
hmm ok. how many gals would it make then, with out any extra malt? i wish i had a local store with recipe kits. maybe i will just look arround some more

Ok... lets back up a few steps... since your asking how many gals they would make it certainly sounds as if we need to ask you another question.... you did not mention equipment... do you have equipment? What do you have?

As far as the question about which beer to make.... well I guess I'm always a little "Huh....:drunk: " when someone asks this question and a simple question to you will clear it up..... What do I like to cook? Umm... how about... What color should I paint my living room? Certainly you understand to answer this would be absurd right. You have no idea :) Ok... so it's best to start out with what you love. You go to the store and buy some beer... what do you buy? Should be an Ale cause thats the easiest to make. Then if you want the best selection and a reall good set of people to buy things from, go to Austin's Home Brew Supply: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/ The place is nice cause if you spend $60 shipping if free. As another reply said there are hundreds of beers to choose from here. With the beer you have in mind, the one you buy all the time that you love, go here: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_21_46_43 Find the beer you got in mind and you're all set. They are for 5 gals.

Thanks, and yes i have all the gear needed... ok one more ? do i have to fill my fermenting tank right up? or is it ok to have it half full?

makingitgood said:
Thanks, and yes i have all the gear needed... ok one more ? do i have to fill my fermenting tank right up? or is it ok to have it half full?

howtobrew.com

Useful online reference.....

Yes, you need to fill the fermenter up with the boiled wort and additional water to a level called for in your recipe (most kits will come with some sort of instructions).

i have a 10 gal fermenting tank and i only want to make a 4-5 gal batch, so would it work? should i get a diffrent tank?

makingitgood said:
i have a 10 gal fermenting tank and i only want to make a 4-5 gal batch, so would it work? should i get a diffrent tank?

No, don't use a 10 gallon. Use a 6.5 plastic bucket or carboy for primary and a smaller carboy for a secondary. You want to limit the amount of extra airspace.

I'm going to be a little patronizing here and give a professorial response: it looks to me like you need to learn a little about the process first.

You can't go wrong with the online book "How to Brew" by John Palmer, and it's free: www.howtobrew.com

Or get the newest edition which just came out in print.

If you read up a little, you'll get much better results, you'll know what you're doing, you'll know what questions to ask, etc...

All you really need to read in PAlmer to get started is through the "Your First Extract Brew) chapter--It's probably not much more than an hour or two's reading.

Welcome to the obsession.

Are you talking about a no-boil kit? It sounds like maybe that is what you are thinking. Basically these kits have a can, a bag of malt or brewing sugar and yeast added to some boiled water and cold water. No secondary container-you bottle right from this kit and the yeast sits below the spikot line.

Cooper's Microbrewery Kit
www.makebeer.net

Mr. Beer (small kit)
www.mrbeer.com

Beer Man Microbrewery
www.beermanmicrobrewery.com

Beer Machine (keg-like)
www.beermachine.com

Long-timers and big-time homebrewers will tell you these methods are a waste of time. They are not as tweakable, but if you buy a good ingredient kit (listed on the site), you will make good beer and it's a good way to start and practice before you take off on a full kit like people have been discussing. If you just want to try homebrewing first in an easier way, try one of these kits (I recommend the Cooper's the most; or Mr. Beer if you want small amounts, but the refills on this kit can get spendy).

You should probably do some reading, but they are "no-boil" because they have already been boiled and are all ready in the can.
http://makewine-makebeer.com/beer_kit.php

You boil a couple gal of water and add it to the fermenter, then add the can of stuff, along with additives like malt extracts, sugars, etc, stir everything to dissolve, then add cool water to the top (5 or 6 gal depending on the kit used) and make sure it's at the right temp. Add yeast, and close up fermenter with air lock. Mr. Beer has a similiar method except they add the can to the boiling water on the stove to dissolve and that kit makes only 2 gal. Both of these kits bottle from the primary, but it's not too messy because the bottling tap is above where the yeast settles, so you get very little sediment in your bottles. The Cooper's kits even come with carbonation drops which you use to prime/carbonate your bottles.

I like the Cooper's stuff. The kit is from Australia and their mixes make 6 gal, when you are bottled you have 30 740 ml (24.6oz) bottles (including in the kit).
They have a variety of kinds and you can buy their "complete beer kits" from $19.99 to like $34.99 with most being like $24. It's really quite tasty beer. That includes everything you need, minus the water. Right now Cooper's has a 15% off sale for Father's Day. A good thing about this is you can learn to tweak recipes later, and you can also use the fermenter as a primary later when you want to begin boil brewing. I did that, just added a secondary and a bottling bucket later, but I still use the no-boil kits when I don't have time or the energy to do the whole process.

www.makebeer.net

thanks.... well i gues i will do some shoping, I am hoping to get it all local. so it is ok if i boil it to disolve it right?

Back