I am short on my final volume of wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogxray

Reaction score
I drianed my wort from my kettle to the fermenter on my ag batch and saw that I am off i only had about 4.2 gallons instead of 5. my sg is 1.061 i just pitched my yeast. What is going to happen?

I drianed my wort from my kettle to the fermenter on my ag batch and saw that I am off i only had about 4.2 gallons instead of 5. my sg is 1.061 i just pitched my yeast. What is going to happen?

Well, nothing. But if you want to ensure that you have the right SG/bittering hops ratio, you could let us know what the recipe is.

If this is your Mack & Jack's clone, I'd say: What's the OG? If you're at 4.6 gallons, but the proper OG, then I'd leave it. If the OG is higher, then I'd dilute it with water to the proper OG.

Like Yooper says, what really counts is the IBU/OG ratio.

Zach & Jack's African Amber from ohiodad
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 1/21/2008
Style: American Amber Ale Brewer:
Batch Size: 5.50 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 6.6 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (155 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Actual Efficiency: 73.09 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.81 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 77.27 %
1.15lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.15 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
0.58 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (dry hop) 14 days
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.054 SG (1.045-1.056 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.010-1.015 SG) Measured Final Gravity
Estimated Color: 12.0 SRM (11.0-18.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 32.4 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 10.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.16 % (4.50-5.70 %)
Actual Calories: 240 cal/pint

OK.

You were shooting for 1.054 in 5.5 but got 1.061 in 4.6 gallons.

You can dilute with water to get your proper gravity, which is what you want.

You extracted 61 X 4.6 = 280.6 gravity points.

to get the right gravity, you need 54 X "Y" = 280.6.

Therefore, Y is 5.19 gallons.

Dilute your beer to about 5.19 gallons by adding 5.19-4.6=.6 gallons of water

So add a bit more than a half-gallon of water (76 Oz is close enough), and you're golden.

What happened is that you boiled off more water than you expected. You can use this information to correct your next brew session, knowing that you lost about 2 gallons over the course of your boil.

I see you're using Beersmith. You can use the "dilution" tool to calculate your dilution for the next time, and you can also up your percentage of boil-off for the next brew as well.

Whatever you end up doing, you will have made beer, and I bet it will be pretty damn tasty.

OK.

You were shooting for 1.054 in 5.5 but got 1.061 in 4.6 gallons.

You can dilute with water to get your proper gravity, which is what you want.

You extracted 61 X 4.6 = 280.6 gravity points.

to get the right gravity, you need 54 X "Y" = 280.6.

Therefore, Y is 5.19 gallons.

Dilute your beer to about 5.19 gallons by adding 5.19-4.6=.6 gallons of water

So add a bit more than a half-gallon of water (76 Oz is close enough), and you're golden.

What happened is that you boiled off more water than you expected. You can use this information to correct your next brew session, knowing that you lost about 2 gallons over the course of your boil.

You have been a big help thank you for your time and expertise.

I didn't do the math, but that's exactly what I'd also recommend. You're not "watering down" the wort if you're meeting a desired SG. You want to keep the balance with the IBU/SG ratio. So, if you're close, you might want to say forget it. But since you can easily add a little water to meet the SG, I'd do that.

You have been a big help thank you for your time and expertise.

No problem, we've all been there.
My first AG brew, I had to dump the entire mash into a big pot and heat it up, because I was impatient about adjusting strike temperature.

You know what? It turned out great. I bet yours does too.

Where you went wrong is that you assumed that you'd boil off less than you really did. I figure on boiling off 1.5 gallons per hour and .25 gallons leftover in the kettle so if I want 5.5 gallons in the fermenter, I collect 7.25 gallons preboil.

Latest posts

Back