Crank up that thermostat!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
This morning we finally had to kick on the furnace and I couldn't be happier. This is the best time of year IMO. Cool weather, NCAA/NFL football, MLB playoffs, the holidays approaching, darker and/or maltier beers, comfort foods, and brewing indoors! :tank:

Agreed, Ben. Woke up this morning to a nice frost on my grass which means one wonderful thing: no more mowing. Nice, crisp day, beautiful color on the trees. Tremendous.

no mowing, and the west wind takes all the leaves out onto the street and into the field across from me. no raking!

i'm not turning the heat on till the pipes are in danger of freezing. ;)

No furnace here yet, but I do love this time of year. I am watching football, brewing comfortably outside with pants on, and drinking beer while brewing without feeling like I am going to die....life doesn't get much better.

I'm just happy it's not in the 90s every day anymore. This summer was brutal.
x2. I spent my past couple summers in Lubbock or Houston, both of which were at least 110° almost every day.

I just turned my AC off for the season a few days ago, and now I can just leave the windows open until it gets into the 40s outside. Then I'll close them, but I don't use the heater in the winter.

Yea we're pansies too. I love the fall, but the furnace has been on for a while. Of course we save money in the summer by leaving the AC at 82-85 :)

I love the fall/winter time. That is when the house is the most comfortable. Best decision I ever made was to install in-floor radiant heat, heated by an outdoor wood furnace. Our utility bills are cheapest in the winter time,and we also heat the domestic hot water with the furnace by keeping the fire going year round. Plus the basement is perfect for maintaining those ale fermenting temps.:D

we have had heat on for weeks! last weekend ended up with over 24 inches of snow

we have had heat on for weeks! last weekend ended up with over 24 inches of snow

No snow here yet, and I'm aweful glad for that. I hate snow.
I've had my furnace on to get rid of early morning chill a few times, but my house is really warm usually. The fall weather is nice but I long for summer weather as it rarely gets above 75f anyway.
I don't think I could live where the average temperture would exceed 80f on a regular basis. It gets to 70f and I've got the AC on, fans going etc.

Now fall weather means good brewing weather regarding my basement temps.
Not all is bad I guess.

Mid seventies in the afternoon, followed by high thirties in the morning- Needless to say, I closed the windows as soon as I woke up, kicked up the heat, and hugged my fermenting dry Irish stout and reassured it that it would still be ok...

It's not like I kissed it- I'm not that weird :)

Frosty in the morning and the cold weather is officially here in PA. I can't wait for the leaves to turn here, really wish I lived in New Hampshire or the lot; I agree, it's beautiful up there! Nowif only it would snow- []IIIIIII[] (sorry OIIIIIO, mine are square!)

A wonderfully crisp fall weekend here- highs around 60 all weekend with lows down hovering around 40. We're not quite at the peak of color yet, but it's a beautiful time of year!

Definitely time for the malty beers! :rockin:

I finally succumbed to the females in the household and their incessant need for temperatures over 60. :D

Don't get me wrong, I hate a cold house in the morning...but with the cost of fuel these days, ugh. I have to get a wood stove set up one of these days...

The heat usually gets kicked on in the mornings to break the chill (nothing worse than freezing your tail off getting out of the shower in the morning), otherwise it been AC off and windows open.

I can't wait to see my boy playing in the leaves and later, in the snow.

And for all you hop growers out there, google and start thinking about a "leaf mold".

We had our first frost this morning. It was 31 degrees when I left for work.

The trees are a-changing. The quality of light is extra blue. I've stopped brewing pales and started with the porters and stouts.

I love autumn!

We had our first frost this morning. It was 31 degrees when I left for work.

The trees are a-changing. The quality of light is extra blue. I've stopped brewing pales and started with the porters and stouts.

I love autumn!

I have a Guinness in Primary right now. :rockin:

Went apple picking in Massachusetts last weekend. The color was unbelievable. Fall is far and away the best reason to live in New England.

One of these years I'm going to make it out there for fall. It's finally getting cool here. High 40's in the AM and mid 70's for a high. Now I feel energetic. Heat just saps my energy.
Dogwoods should be turning soon.:mug:

I'm putting it off as long as I can. It was 55f in my living room this morning! I did turn on a space heater yesterday and got it up to 62 which is fine. I just had my very first city util bill (gas, water) in like 6 or 8 months that was under $100. I'd love to have another month without it being absurdly high. Fock it, I'll put another layer on. Our scumbag city charges like a million bucks to heat our homes. Ugh. Not looking forward to this.

I'm putting it off as long as I can. It was 55f in my living room this morning! I did turn on a space heater yesterday and got it up to 62 which is fine. I just had my very first city util bill (gas, water) in like 6 or 8 months that was under $100. I'd love to have another month without it being absurdly high. Fock it, I'll put another layer on. Our scumbag city charges like a million bucks to heat our homes. Ugh. Not looking forward to this.

I'm so jealous. You could frickin' lager in your living room. Y'all suck. I had to shut the windows at 10am this morning because it got too HOT outside to keep them open. :mad:

I fired up the pellet stove on Saturday for the first time this year. I'll run that until mid-Nov. and then fire up the coal stove. ~$500 the heat the house for the season - 1 ton wood pellets, 1.5 tons of coal.

Wife finally made me get the furnace turned on last week. We've had a cold snap or two already, but now the leaves are falling off and I think it's about time to watch for spiking gas bills.

I fired up the pellet stove on Saturday for the first time this year. I'll run that until mid-Nov. and then fire up the coal stove. ~$500 the heat the house for the season - 1 ton wood pellets, 1.5 tons of coal.
Interesting combo there. I have a pellet stuff that has been running at night for a few days now. Goes off during the day.

A buddy has a coal stove. Damn near killed his family with a CO scare last winter.

Got about 4 cords of wood just started making a dent in it last week, had our first freeze last weekend. I should be able to lager in the basement soon!

I fired up the furnace a couple days ago to knock the chill off. Got another month or so before it will be run regularly.

My wife and I are the worst combination as far as temperatures are concerned. I have always been very hot natured and she is the most cold natured person I have ever met. Isnt a good combination as far as utility bills go. All summer I'm hot and she is cold. Then all winter she is cold and I'm still hot...

Back