Food grade vinyl tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting food grade vinyl tubing? HD and lowes only had the "non ice maker use" stuff. Can't get to the home brew shop for several days and not sure if they even carry it. I need to get something longer than my 2' faucet line for a keg of tasty IPA. Damn thing is nothing but foam under about 4psi.
I have read that some pet stores carry it. Any luck there? Thanks.:mug:

Home Depot usually has some (WATTS brand) beverage tubing. I've heard people say that it doesn't work, but I've used it for over a year with no issues.

By WATTS do you mean the same stuff that has a warning on it because it can cause cancer and birth defects?

I personally don't like the home improvement vinyl tubing for my keg lines, I switched to the polyethylene icemake tubing because I found that it doesn't pick up flavors. It does get super stiff, but I don't find that to be an issue as long as my lines are routed well ahead of time.

A garden hose isn't "food grade" yet I bet we all drank from them as children. I did. A lot!

We all turned out ok... didn't we?

Be more concerned about what's in your Happy Meal than what's in tubing. "Food Grade" and "Hospital Grade" are great ways for manufacturers to squeeze more money out of consumers. Looks legit. Sounds legit. Not legit.

*puts tinfoil hat back on and sits in basement*

I got some stuff approved for beverage use at the local ACE Hardware. It was 1/4" diameter though, so the 10ft I bought to replace my 5ft 3/16" line actually ended up worse off.

It sits unused somewhere in my basement.

Back