cleanest way to transfer from kettle to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goswell

Reaction score
I did my first 5 gallon batch over the weekend and everything went great except transferring the chilled wort from the kettle to the primary.
I poured the wort from the kettle through a large strainer into my bucket. The problem I ran into was the strainer must have clogged 3 times before I got all the wort into the bucket.

What is the easiest way to transfer the wort from the kettle to the primary?

I tried straining once and ran into the same problem. Nowadays, I just dump the whole thing in through a funnel and let all the detritus settle to the bottom. When I rack it to secondary, all the nasties stay behind.

I have a spigot on my brewpot that lets me drain off the wort from the trub and hot break.

but its fine if some, or most, of it goes in the primary. it won't screw up your beer.

Whirlpooling works nicely.

Another way to do it is to get a long nylon grain bag and pour into a bucket through that. If the bucket is your primary then you're good to go. Otherwise if you're using a carboy for primary, use a bottling bucket and drain into the carboy. This'll help with aeration too.

Straining is not necessary though.

I have a stainless steel strainer that I use every batch....Ive never had it clog up before...Maybe you need a strainer with bigger holes. Im mainly worried about getting the "big" chunks out like the hops.... Everything else settles to the bottom, then I transfer to the secondary and leave it behind.

Whirlpooling is by far the best way I have found. I usually use my autosiphon out of the brew pot. I spin with my brew spoon and then siphon out into the bucket.

Really though most of the junk in the brewpot stays when going to the seconadary anyways so it is really a matter of personal preference.

Back