Witbier Hoegaarden Witbier Clone - Pierre Celis White

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one is in the fermentor with using WYEAST 3463 as I couldnt get my hands on the 3944.

Not sure of the SG because I did a few readings with my hydrometer and kept getting different numbers. The hydrometer was sticking to the sides of the theif, so I really don't know how well i did. Oh well, it will be beer and it will be delicious.

Hi there,

I was wondering if this recipe was more like the original Hoegaarden, or closer to the modern rendition?

I also heard there was a Celis White clone recipe in Radical Brewing, I was wondering if any of you had any experience with it, and what the recipe itself was like?

Thanks in advance for the help

I once had a buddy who made a clove beer, well it was nasty and over done. Maybe ok in cider at small amounts. In hefeweizens it comes from the yeast Esters.

I once had a buddy who made a clove beer, well it was nasty and over done. Maybe ok in cider at small amounts. In hefeweizens it comes from the yeast Esters.

A local brewery made a Hoegaarden "like" beer using orange and cloves. It's turned into my wife's favorite. I'll start with coriander, but if done lightly cloves can make a pretty awesome beer, but I don't know if can be repeated as nicely with small batch homebrew.

A local brewery made a Hoegaarden "like" beer using orange and cloves. It's turned into my wife's favorite. I'll start with coriander, but if done lightly cloves can make a pretty awesome beer, but I don't know if can be repeated as nicely with small batch homebrew.

Clove can work, but it needs to be slight in taste in my opinion. I think you need to ponder what you taste on spiced beers (Like, is it really there?). I think if its obvious it generally too much. I think most BJCP people will say the same thing.

Maybe, but this ( link ) is an awesome beer. Most of us agree that the flavor of the beer reads left to right with primarily orange and clove flavor followed by coriander. It might take a lot of fine tuning to balance the cloves with the other flavors but I know it can be done on a large scale, I'm just looking for a way to clone something like that on a 5 gal scale.

Maybe, but this ( link ) is an awesome beer. Most of us agree that the flavor of the beer reads left to right with primarily orange and clove flavor followed by coriander. It might take a lot of fine tuning to balance the cloves with the other flavors but I know it can be done on a large scale, I'm just looking for a way to clone something like that on a 5 gal scale.

I think with this beer that you can detect some clove but its not from using clove its from yeast ester from a fermentation below 66F.

Example Hefeweizens; using wyeast 3068 has these esters

62F and lower has a smell/taste is more on the clove side
66F and higher has a smell/taste is more on the banana side​

The yeast on this recipe has a little of two above with a bit of bubblegum ester. wyeast 3944

I am planning my first all grain brew so I am definately still a noob, as such I am going to start BIAB first. If I use the original recipe will I need the rice hulls since I am under the impression that those would normally be used to prevent a stuck sparge and don't add anything to fermentables? If I don't need them do I replace them with anything else? Thanks everyone.

I have attempted to read this entire thread and have not seen any discussion on clarifying agents (i.e. Irish Moss, Whirlfloc Tablets). Will the use of either reduce the great yeasty cloud that is characteristic of this beer? I typically keg, but I'm also worried about all the yeast settling to the bottom. I figure this beer is better bottled so one can swirl the yeast cake whilst serving.......

Thoughts?

MooMan said:
I have attempted to read this entire thread and have not seen any discussion on clarifying agents (i.e. Irish Moss, Whirlfloc Tablets). Will the use of either reduce the great yeasty cloud that is characteristic of this beer? I typically keg, but I'm also worried about all the yeast settling to the bottom. I figure this beer is better bottled so one can swirl the yeast cake whilst serving.......

Thoughts?

I believe the cloudiness should be more of a function of starch haze from the wheat additions than the yeast. Use of clarifying agents would impact this and are not part of this style. Racking normally after first/second fermentation should get the majority of the yeast to have fallen out of suspension. I, unfortunately, don't keg yet so I can't speak to impacts or considerations there but somehow doubt it would be an issue since the starch haze should stay consistent. Hope that helps!

I brewed this last fall with some hop subsitutions and left the coriander in the secondary WAY too long. I really wasn't trying to clone the original but I was amazed how close it came even with my variations. I'm amazed this one isn't sitting higher up on the list because it was insanely close to the original. I don't think I could get it any closer. My 2 cents

I brewed this last fall with some hop subsitutions and left the coriander in the secondary WAY too long. I really wasn't trying to clone the original but I was amazed how close it came even with my variations. I'm amazed this one isn't sitting higher up on the list because it was insanely close to the original. I don't think I could get it any closer. My 2 cents

Go ahead and rate it or thumb it up. Thanks!!

I've brewed it last month (using brewferm blanche yeast) and just drank a full pint of the beer. It's really close to the original but the coriander was too strong for me, next time I'll tweak it a bit lower.
All in all, a great clone.

Spices can dissipate with time. That said they should be subtle in the beer. Also fresh vs dried can make a difference. Fresh grind vs dry out of a shaker. Fresh being more potent.

Hope your beer mellows with time.

Schlenkerla

I meant fresh coriander. Fresh ground that is.... To me cilantro is something you find in salsa or Mexican dishes. Not beer. Lol

I suppose a light ale could be dry hoped with cilantro. Last night I had a watermelon lemonade that had cilantro as the garnish. Wasn't bad. Cilantro in a light beer for summer.... hum....got me thinking crazy now....

Hi all,

I am attempting to do this one in the UK for my first attempt, but finding some big problems getting the ingredients over here which are specified in the recipe.

Here are the closest alternatives I can find :-

from http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/

0511667 Flaked Torrified Wheat 1kg
100263 Hop Pellets Saaz 100g
100403 Wyeast Activator™ 3944 Belgian White Beer Yeast
207488 Aurora Hops 100g (not pellets)
461037 Nugget Hops 100g (alternative for the Millenium hop pellets)
101900 Sweet Orange peel - crushed 50g
0811761 Flaked Rice 1kg
100178 Pilsner Malt 3kg Crushed / Milled, Weyermann®

Will these be OK to use instead? Total amateur, but very keen on learning & experimenting!

Adam

First off worth noting rice hulls are not rice. It's the outer jacket of rice kernel. It's used to keep the grist from clumping.

I don't know about using torrified wheat, I don't know how similar it is to wheat itself. I will get back to you on this unless somebody who knows, replies.

The hop substitution. It's ok

The Orange peel is ok, I have used it and so have my friends wii have made this.

Ah, that's good to know - thanks. So, it seems as though my substitutions are going to be reasonably good, apart from the rice hulls?

I will take another look and see if I can get those.. they might be called something different over here possibly.

I will post result when I start brewing. Going to start with a pilot batch on the stove, then move on to the large scale shed brewing set up once it's built!

Many thanks

Adam.

Ah, that's good to know - thanks. So, it seems as though my substitutions are going to be reasonably good, apart from the rice hulls?

I will take another look and see if I can get those.. they might be called something different over here possibly.

I will post result when I start brewing. Going to start with a pilot batch on the stove, then move on to the large scale shed brewing set up once it's built!

Many thanks

Adam.

The torrified wheat should work ok too.

Tell the homebrew shop why you need rice hulls.

Send them this.....

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...s/grain-malts/unmalted-grains/rice-hulls.html

Hello all.

This post will likely make you cringe/laugh.

Would it be possible for some nice simple instructions on how to make a version of hoegaarden? I am a beginner. Ive done two kits so far. Coopers Cerveza and Coopers Australian Pale. The instructions I am looking for are along the lines of 1. boil water. 2. add some herbs and 300g of xyz grain 3. boil for 40 mins. 4. remove scum 5. cool, then add yeast. 6 add some primer and bottle. 7. wait 3 months. 8. drink.

I realise its not this simple, but I am not really very keen on a) understanding or manipulating the brewing process and b) making any other beer.

What i would like is to follow a formula and just make hoegaarden.

thx

I found this thread late. I'm about to brew my first wit.

I don't have FLAKED wheat.. but I do have whole kernels available. I'm guessing they will be crushed as with the Pils malt.. and mashed alongside as one mash?

What is the benefit of flaked over whole crushed grain?

You need to have wheat to make a wit. Otherwise you're making a miller-like ale. American light ale.

BTW - I'm the OP.

Back