Simple Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hrahn1995

Reaction score
2lbs Raw Honey (Sue Bee)
8tbs Dark Dry Malt Extract (around 1/4 lb?)
Pinch of Yeast Nutrient

Step 1: (after cleaning everything) Add warm honey and warm water (120ish F) to primary and dissolve once completely dissolved allow to cool to around 100ish and add Dry Malt shake untill dissolved
Step 2: I didnt pitch the yeast i just split the pack in half with another batch i was doing at the same time and poured it on top of the must
Step 3: let ferment for around 20 days or untill its starting to clear some, and rack off into your secondary.
Step 4: once the secondary has almost become clear and still (10 days?) cover fermentor tightly and let sit for about 2 weeks
Step 5: Bottled in 750ml Wine bottles
Age for how ever long you want. Definately gets smoother with age. Ended 8 months later with a nice amount of small buble carbonation

This was one of my first brews and it is definately still one of my favorites, i plan on doing a batch of it soon with about 1/5 oz of Cascade hopps boiled for 30 minutes before adding to the must and with .5-1 lb of DME and 2 coopers priming pellets per bottle at bottling

t

Hey i Started that Dark Hopped Braggot and its about 4 days in and its already slowing down, i'll take a gravity at two weeks and rack it. i think i used a bit more hops thank 1/5 oz something close to 1/3. I'll keep you all posted on its progress

The Hopped Dark Braggot with .5 lb of dark malt and 2lbs of honey was just racked at the 8 day mark because it went still but was still cloudly, the gravity was 1.30 so it definitely has a way to go, added some extra nutrient to hopefully jump start it. i'll keep you posted

How is this coming along? I'm interested in trying this recipe once I move, and if all goes well I'll be upsizing to 5g. I've also been interested in trying this with Munich LME, but curious if the amount needed would be the same. I'd love to have something like cross between mead and a German Dunkel/Oktoberfest.

Well i plan on bottling it this upcoming thursday because that is when i will have time and by then i should be getting more caps etc. Its very good, the gravity is a bit high but that is because i didnt boil it like i should have. close to 1.015-1.020. Its flavor its very nice. and definitely worth a try if you enjoy dark beers. The recipe i asume you are refering to is the Second one with the 1/2 lb of DDME rather thatn the Light braggot with maybe 1/8lb. I'll hopefully be uploading some pictures of this a barley wine, a Vanilla Sarsparilla Mead and a wormwood mead when they are bottled

Yea i should have specified the second one but it sounds good. That's exactly what I'd be shooting for flavor wise - dark beerish. What is the added benefit of boiling as opposed to shaking until the extract is dissolved?

Haha well i too thought there was no differnce in dissolving the extract and boiling it but i found out that the boil actually breaks down the polysaccharides into mono, di, and trisaccarides which are fermentable by the yeast. in the raw form the extract is only about 60% fermentable so you'll end up with alot of unfermented sugars and alot of residual sweetness, kinda like mine is now. Im not too worried about how it will turn out because its pretty good now, also the Hops need to be boiled to release the flavoring qualities. This was my first time doing anything close to a beer so i learned alot for my next batch of braggot (possibly a Bochet style braggot with Warrior Hops)

Im just gonna up date this almost a year later. I have opened the last bottle of it because its going to go to a close friend of mine. Its absolutely wonderful and i have gotten alot of compliments on it, i plan on doing several braggots based off this recipe including my wheat orange blossom braggot, my alt braggot, and my Red Rye Braggot. Im really hoping they all turn out well just like this one did. all are going to be based around the general braggot recipe of 2lbs Honey 1/2 lbs malt. Hope some more people try this and give me an update on how it came out.

Back