Cream Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iahebert

Reaction score
Hey Everyone-

I'm looking at swinging by the LHBS later today for some beermakin' ingredients, and i'm wanting to do a Cream Ale. Just poking around, I've seen that 6-row helps out converting some of the adjuncts, and thought I'd try out the following for a 5.5 gal batch.

5lbs 2-Row
5lbs 6-Row
2lbs Flaked Corn
.5lb Flaked Rye (just for kicks)

Low Alpha hops-I'm leaning towards Willamette or a Noble.

either 1007 or WLP080 yeast.

Typical 60 minute, single infusion mash around 152 or so.

My main question is, is there a benefit (or would it be weird) to do the 6-Row and 2-Row the way I have it? I've never used 6 before, and figured a cream would be a good place to test it out.

Thanks in advance y'all!

Never really used 6-row myself, but I don't think that it's going to put your cream ale out of style by any means. You might want to add a protein rest in the 120's F for about 30 mins.

I just recently did a Cream Ale that I am really happy with. I used:
5lbs 2-row
4lbs Pilsner
1lb flaked corn
12oz cane sugar

1.5oz Liberty 60min
.5oz Liberty 15min

I mashed at 149 for 90 minutes and did a 90 minute boil since I used Pilsner. I fermented with US-05 and really like how light and crisp it came out. I think your recipe looks good and I recently read about the conversion benefits of the 6-row but have personally never used it. If you want the crisp finish a Cream Ale usually has I would suggest dropping your mash temp a little and adding some sugar, but those are both just personal taste things and either way you will have a good summer beer. :mug:

Just found a link that gives good info regarding the use of 6-row with adjuncts http://www.picobrewery.com/askarchive/diastatic.htm

I used 6-row in a pre-prohibition lager, which also used 2lbs of corn. My impression of 6-row is a far more grain flavored malt, I really liked it, but can see how the flavor doesnt work with every style. I think your recipe will come out nice, go for it!

When you decide on your final recipe would you mind posting it here again? I have some 6 row I want to use up in a blended cream ale recipe perhaps with some cluster hops and saaz at the end but I would like to see what you decide on.

When you decide on your final recipe would you mind posting it here again?

Will do. I'm heading out to LHBS shortly, will see what the guys there have to say, and when I'm home I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the feedback everyone else!

Brewday is probably actually tomorrow, I'll try to remember to update the beer as it goes.

These days 2 row has practically the same diastatic power as 6 row. Use 6 row for the slight grainy flavor it adds, not for enzymes.

Thanks Denny. I wish I had read that before going to the LHBS, but I think I'll like the Graininess.

I ended up with the following grain bill, the only change was a pound less of each 2-row and 6-row. Very excited to try it out.

4lbs 2row
4lbs 6row
2lbs Flaked Maize
8oz Flaked Rye

Willamette hops, and S-05.

Once it's done fermenting, I plan on dryhopping with these guys:
7124876521_36441bbe03.jpg

And I'm going to call it....wait for it... Banana Cream Rye.

Back