60 min clone ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbaker

Reaction score
I just bought a 60 min clone kit from my local home brew store, but the hop additions do not seem "continuous" like the name implies. Here are the hop additions...
.50oz Warrior hops added at beginning of 60 min boil
.75oz "1-hr hop mix" added at 45 min into boil
.75oz " " added at 50 min into boil
.75oz " " added at 55 min into boil
1.50oz " " added at end of boil
.75oz " " dry hop

No mention in the recipe of adding the hops throughout the boil, and I just don't want to throw them in at those time increments, doesn't that defeat the purpose of an ipa that is supposed to be continuously hopped?

Ah, the follies of a kit brew...
I would go ahead and brew it. At this point, it's the best you can do! Next time, try to find yourself a continuously-hopped recipe and/or buy the ingredients on your own. Just my 2cents.

You could add them continuously if you want to. I would leave the bittering hops alone, put them in all at once at the start of boil. But that 45 min addition could be spread out over the course of the boil, right up to those additions that start at that last 10 minutes.

TTB-J said:
You could add them continuously if you want to. I would leave the bittering hops alone, put them in all at once at the start of boil. But that 45 min addition could be spread out over the course of the boil, right up to those additions that start at that last 10 minutes.

Thanks. I was thinking along the same lines

Not sure what hops you have but I have brewed this recipe many times and it has come out great every time.

Yep, I'll be trying Yooper's recipe (the one linked to by CBK) sometime next week hopefully. Would have had a chance to brew it last night except the LHBS didn't have the right hops and the ones I mail-ordered won't be here until tomorrow.

The recipe sounds similar enough that you could probably take inspiration from that for how to do the continuous additions.

Yea, besides the "1 hr hop mix " being a huge mystery in addition to the warrior hops this is the same recipe outlined in Extreme Home Brewing. I'll most likely do the hop additions according to that book.

Back