Cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2001SE

Reaction score
I'm alway brewing the brewhouse kits, and keg it. Everytime the beer is kind off clouly, not clear. After 1 month or 2 it will get clear. I've tried adding gelatin powder, it worked once. But the last time it did not work. Is there something I am doing wrong or is there something I can do, to have a better looking beer?

Thanks

I have always let my brews sit at least a month before drinking. They taste better anyway after a month. My suggestion is to just brew more so you can keep up.

Or you can always filter it if you are kegging.

you could try irish moss or other clarifying agents during the boil and gelatin later on, but I've found that time does the most to help with that. Also, when I transfer my wort from boil pot to primary, I pour it through a strainer to help get any sizeable particles out.

Do you rack to a secondary fermenter, or are you doing primary only? Racking to the secondary usually helps clarify the beer.

Try adding some Irish Moss during the boil as well.

I leave my beers in primary for a month, half the time forget Irish moss, and don't cold crash, and my beer is crystal clear. Leaving the beer alone for a month allows stuff to settle, and the yeast cake tightens up so more stuff is left behind when racking to a bottling bucket.

I don't boil or anything, just brewhouse instructions. Primary for about 5 days, and sencondary for 2 weeks... What is irish moss ?

I've only done a couple kits with mediocre results. If I were you, I'd at least move up to extract brewing (full boil if possible). You will be WAY happier with the results and will have much more control over freshness and flavor. BTW, Irish Moss is a clarifier. When added, it will help to clear the beer. That along side a good cold break and racking into a secondary should get you better results.

"I've only done a couple kits with mediocre results. If I were you, I'd at least move up to extract brewing"

Not trying to change the subject, but "Brewhouse" all grain kits include only all grain, except for the corona and lager. I've brewed many batches with them, IMHO extract brewing is a huge step backwards. It's hard to ship a product that weighs 30 lbs of wort from BC to all over north america and come close to the $30 CAD it sells locally for, but if you ever get the chance give it a try. For example, I made my best brew ever using their munich dark lager kit with an added 2 cups of liquid malt extract, 1 lb of medium crystal malt, half a lb of coffee, and 2 oz of zeus hops. The thing I like about it I can spend just one hour and maybe $10 more using a gallon boil, and seriously tweak the recipe or reliven the specialty grains and hops that are part of the basic recipe.

I always had crystal clear beer when extract brewing, even when the extract wasn't boiled, but with the BH I've come to accepting it as cloudy. I'd love to hear whether irish moss or gelatin is better for a kit like this also...

It's hard to wait 2 months for each brew...there must be a better way.

I don't boil or anything, just brewhouse instructions. Primary for about 5 days, and sencondary for 2 weeks... What is irish moss ?

You don't boil?

Most people will advise you to do at least a 3-week primary and skip the secondary. If you're worried about clarity, you can do a secondary with gelatin and cold crash, or use whirlfloc (which is an irish moss derivative) fifteen minutes from the end of the boil.

Edit: My bad, just looked it up, no boil required... Whirlfloc isn't an option since you don't boil. Typically a strong boil will take care of clarity issues, and whirlfloc or gelatin will help. I'd definitely recommend a long primary with an optional secondary and cold crash.

i boil even the no boil kits, Muntons,Coopers, for at least 20 min so i can add hops and such. no undesireable effects no clarity issues plus i like hops.:rockin:

I boil all my no boil kits for at least 20 min and up to an hour. that way i can add more hopps and irish moss. no issues with clarity. I like hopps

"I've only done a couple kits with mediocre results. If I were you, I'd at least move up to extract brewing"

Not trying to change the subject, but "Brewhouse" all grain kits include only all grain, except for the corona and lager. I've brewed many batches with them, IMHO extract brewing is a huge step backwards. It's hard to ship a product that weighs 30 lbs of wort from BC to all over north america and come close to the $30 CAD it sells locally for, but if you ever get the chance give it a try. For example, I made my best brew ever using their munich dark lager kit with an added 2 cups of liquid malt extract, 1 lb of medium crystal malt, half a lb of coffee, and 2 oz of zeus hops. The thing I like about it I can spend just one hour and maybe $10 more using a gallon boil, and seriously tweak the recipe or reliven the specialty grains and hops that are part of the basic recipe.

I always had crystal clear beer when extract brewing, even when the extract wasn't boiled, but with the BH I've come to accepting it as cloudy. I'd love to hear whether irish moss or gelatin is better for a kit like this also...

It's hard to wait 2 months for each brew...there must be a better way.

I guess I didn't realize this was an all grain kit. I was thinking this was a crappy pre-hopped extract kit. My bad. I still would recommend a boil though if clarity is an issue.

Latest posts

Back