Wheat beer vs IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegstand

Reaction score
Still trying to learn more about the different types of beer. Which one do you guys prefer more and which is more hoppy/bitter and usually has the higher ABV?

Trying to decide on which kind I should brew next. I want to get another batch going in the primary since I finished bottling my last batch which was a pale ale.

IPAs are way higher in ABV and hoppiness. Start poking around on the HBT wiki, wikipedia, etc. and research different beer styles. Also, the best way to get to know different styles is to sample them... for research purposes. :mug:

Around here, I'm guessing IPA would win.

IPAs are hoppier and higher ABV, unless your looking at a Weizenbock. Then the Weizenbock might have a higher ABV. But it would still be less hoppy.

Which do you like?...brew that. I say if you’re having a hard time determining flavor preferences between a wheat and an IPA brew both. If you are unable to determine flavor differences in these two beers I’m a little surprised, and at the same time impressed, that you’ve jumped into homebrewing. Brew like a banshee, find what you like, and don’t let anyone discredit your preferences.

Personally, I think both would be good to brew this time of year but a wheat be mightb ne slightly more refreshing as the summer starts, just my opinion

Yeah pretty easy to tell the difference between IPA and Wheat bears.

I am not a big wheat beer fan. I love IPA's. The only wheats I really like to drink a lot of is Oberon or Sam Adams Summer Ale.

I love them both really, but IPA's seem to be more popular on this board. You could get the best of both worlds if you brewed a Gumballhead clone! I'm actually going to do that this weekend.

These two are chalk and cheese. Run out and buy a commercial version of each and see which one appeals to you more at this time.

Which one do you guys prefer more and which is more hoppy/bitter and usually has the higher ABV?
BJCP guidelines aside, the beauty of this hobby is that you can brew whatever you want. When the topic of wheat beers comes up the banana and clove German style are what some people think of. Others imagine lame American versions that are brewed to draw in the BMC crowd.

By style guidelines American IPA’s come in at 1.056-1.075 OG, 5.5-7.5% ABV and 40-70 IBU’s. American Wheat tops out at 1.055 OG, 5.5% ABV and 30 IBU’s. You don’t have to bump the number too far to bring those numbers into the IPA range. Personally, I love a hoppy American Wheat.

Give it a try!
:mug:

The umbrella for IPA is much smaller than the umbrella for wheat. Wheat beer doesn't even fit into a single BJCP category. IMHO, I love hefeweizens and dunkelweizens, but at the same time I despise most American wheat beers. An IPA will almost certainly be more bitter (though I have seen some super-hoppy American wheat recipes). It will probably also have higher alcohol content but that may vary.

I personally think a hefeweizen is a nice beginner beer to brew because there are no specialty grains to steep, it has a simple hop schedule (mine only have a single addition), and the yeast generally takes off like a rocket.

But if you don't like the style then it's not worth it, which kind of brings me to a big point: You can't homebrew in a vacuum. You're going to have to go out there and research. The good news is that the research is fun. I devote at least 50% of my beer budget to drinking new (to me) styles and brands of beer. Even $8-$9 per 6-pack (or even better, samples from fellow brewers at a homebrew club of some sort) is cheaper than a $25 batch of beer you don't like.

I'm not a big American wheat fan, but at the Aha big brew day on May 1st, we had about 100 brewing there, and a couple hundred more folks from clubs hanging out and sharign their beers.

And I sampled 2-3 fanfreakingtastic WPAs or would they be called IWPAs? Anyway there were basically american wheat beers hopped to the level of IPA. They blew me away.

In fact my favorite one was brewed by our own member Q2XL and had this as the hop-bill.

0.38 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (First Wort Hop)
60 min 0.38 oz Amarillo
15 min 0.38 oz Amarillo
5 min 0.75 oz Amarillo
1 min 0.75 oz Amarillo
1.75 oz Amarillo-Bulk (Dry Hop 9 days)

Like I said it was amazing, and really was a wheat IPA

Wow...thanks for all the responses, guys. I did as you suggested and tried an IPA...so I went with Stone IPA. Very hoppy and a little too bitter for me. I prefer Hefeweizens, which I used to drink all the time. So I guess I'm more of a wheat beer guy.

I ordered the Octoberfest Vienna Lager from Mr. Beer as my second brew batch. My West Coast Pale Ale turned out fantastic! I am definitely not disappointed.

Next time try brewing something in between, maybe a blonde or a light amber?

Wow...thanks for all the responses, guys. I did as you suggested and tried an IPA...so I went with Stone IPA. Very hoppy and a little too bitter for me. I prefer Hefeweizens, which I used to drink all the time. So I guess I'm more of a wheat beer guy.

I ordered the Octoberfest Vienna Lager from Mr. Beer as my second brew batch. My West Coast Pale Ale turned out fantastic! I am definitely not disappointed.

You might see if you can get hold of Red Hook's Longhammer IPA. IMHO, Stone is a bit over-the-top which is typical of modern American IPAs. Red Hook has been making Longhammer since before the American microbreweries got involved in the hops arms race so it's not nearly as bitter but still true to style.

Stone over the top????:confused: I love Stone IPA's!!!!!! Brewing another batch this weekend!!!!

Just wondering if you have lager capabilities? You brought up wheat’s and IPA’s originally, both ales, and then bought a lager.

I only bring this up because in most cases lagers require fermentation temp control at a lower range that, for most people, requires additional equipment.

Right now, based on your comments, I think the best thing you could do is buy a homebrew book or two and do some much needed reading. That will save you a lot of headache, money and frustration in the future…good luck!

Latest posts

Back