Kettle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderDogs

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing and will be picking up a northern brewer kit for xmas. They have a 10% off sale right now so I think it's the perfect time to buy.

I do have a question about the Kettle. I'm going to be picking up a 7 gallon stainless steel kettle and was wondering if a gas stove will be enough to get a good boil going or should I invest in a propane burner?

I will eventually buy one no matter what but to start off can I get by using the gas stove for a few batches or will it not be able to bring the water up to a good boil?

Thanks in advance!

If you are going to buy their, northern brewer's, kettle, isn't the price of the 10 gal not much more than the 7? I'd get that... In case you like this art you will want to do 'full boils' and with a 15% evaporation rate and a lose of .5 to .75 gal. of beer do to trub (stuff on the bottom of the kettle after the boil that you don't really want in your fermenter) you will need very close to 7 gallons of starting water. With the 10 gallon kettle that is quite manageable... Just my opinion, and frankly the gas stove is great but a propane burner and doing it outside is better and faster. It is hard to believe how much faster you can boil a bunch of gallons of water with a propane burner than on your stove. All this said you can totally get a 7 gal kettle and do partial boils of 3ish gallons on your stove, no problemo! Then when you get into this more you can use your 7 gallon kettle to boil your mash/sparge water :)

Back