Northern Idaho Shops/Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragon

Reaction score
Leaving for northern Idaho on Saturday (the 18th), plan on being in Coeur D'Alene, ID on Sunday through Wednesday (or later depending on the mood). Found Coeur D'Alene Brewing Company. Any good brew shops in the area or other breweries? Recommendations gladly accepted.

Thanks
D

Bluedragon, N. in Hayden Lake there is a little deli called Danens or Daanen's something like that. I just found it about a month ago and they have an imported beer section in the back. Very good selection! It's on Prarie (sp) Ave just about a block east of Government Way. They also have some very good deli sandwich's and just a couple of brew's on tap. I was very pleasantly surprised when I found out how many imports they had from around the world. Enjoy your trip!

I stop in at Daanen's from time to time. They do have a nice selection. There is also Pilgrims market on 4th street close to downtown. They are an organics foods store but they have a good selection of beer. If you make it out to Post Falls, you can go to Enoteca (Wine/Beer Shop). They have a pretty good selection as well although their prices seem to be a bit higher than anyone else.

As for breweries, there's Laughing Dog in Sandpoint, about 40 miles north of Coeur d' Alene. You can also go to Lakeside brewing in Coeur d' Alene. It is downtown very near the lake off of Sherman Ave. I haven't been to either brewery in quite some time, however so I can't tell you how the good/bad the beer and food are.

I hope you have fun hanging out with all of us N. Idaho hicks! :)

There 'used to be' a great one in Spokane... Jim's Homebrew Supply. I don't know if he's still around, but it was great many years ago when I was in Moscow.

Spokane is big enough to support many... any Spokane guys here? I think I remember one or two...

During three years of grad school, I spent every Friday afternoon/evening at the Coeur d'Alene Brewery's Alehouse (their satellite location) down in Moscow. I had a mug hanging from the ceiling with my name on it and everything... I loved that place, and I kept going there all the time because I liked the atmosphere and the company, but I never thought that their beers were that great. In fact, some of them were downright bad. Of their selections, I found their porter and Scottish were the best. Lakeside British Ale is palatable. IPA is lacking bitterness, flavor, aroma. Huckleberry Ale is too sweet. Vanilla bourbon stout is waaaaay too vanilla-y. Etc, etc. All that being said, it's still one of my favorite places in the world!

I think cheezdog is thinking of the Coeur d'Alene Brewery, as it's on Lakeside Ave, a block from Sherman. Anyway, after you've gone to the brewery (because you should... it's a brewery!), cruise down to The Moon Time (it's on Sherman Ave, the main drag). It's an awesome pub. At least a dozen beers on tap, great food. I guarantee you'll love it.

Yes, you got me on that one monkey. Like I said, I haven't been down there in years. (And I live in CDA!) I just remembered that they changes names sometime in the last 10 or so years. They changed from TW Fischers to CDA brewing.

Jim's Homebrew does still exist in Spokane. I make it over there every so often. It is the better shop in the area. They have a great selection of beer there, too.

THanks for the good info. We are planning on taking a side trip to Canada (get our passports stamped), so a stop in Hayden and Sandpoint is possible. We will also be shooting over to Spokane, so I will have to lookup Jims. Again, thanks. Looking forward to this trip for sure!

Is Jim's worth the drive up from Moscow? Locally all I've got for a LHBS is Tristate (Idaho's most interesting store!). Everything else gets ordered online.

+1 on Laughing Dog in Sandpoint. That place has some killer IPAs - especially the Alpha Dog and Hopzilla Black Dog! GO!

Is Jim's worth the drive up from Moscow? Locally all I've got for a LHBS is Tristate (Idaho's most interesting store!). Everything else gets ordered online.

Jim's is a great LHBS. They've got a great selection of brewing supplies and equipment, along with some quality commercial brews. The folks in there are knowledgeable and helpful.

bluedragon, while your in Spokane swing into Northern Lights for some grub and a couple pints. We've also got Coeur D' Alene brewing Co. in the Steamplant grill. Also, the Viking is a great place to kick back a pint or ten. They don't brew their own but they've got a killer selection of taps. All of these places are in or near downtown and within about ten minutes of each other.

Unfortunately this area is lacking as far as breweries are concerned. You really need to make it over to western Washington and Oregon to find a plethora of Northwest breweries.

There 'used to be' a great one in Spokane... Jim's Homebrew Supply. I don't know if he's still around, but it was great many years ago when I was in Moscow.

Spokane is big enough to support many... any Spokane guys here? I think I remember one or two...
Jims is still around. However I wouldn't recommend going there just for beer. They have some hard to find beers, but many of them can be found around. Jim's, while I love them, cranks up the price for all of their bottles.

Bottles, located in Millwood next to the Rocket Bakery, is good. I just found it the other day. Good prices and a great selection of beer.
Yokes and Huckleberry's are the only other two places I would look for beer. I don't think it would be worth the 30-45 minute drive from Coeur d'Alene though(I'm located in Liberty Lake, right on the Washington side of the border).
Jim's is a great LHBS. They've got a great selection of brewing supplies and equipment, along with some quality commercial brews. The folks in there are knowledgeable and helpful.

bluedragon, while your in Spokane swing into Northern Lights for some grub and a couple pints. We've also got Coeur D' Alene brewing Co. in the Steamplant grill. Also, the Viking is a great place to kick back a pint or ten. They don't brew their own but they've got a killer selection of taps. All of these places are in or near downtown and within about ten minutes of each other.

Unfortunately this area is lacking as far as breweries are concerned. You really need to make it over to western Washington and Oregon to find a plethora of Northwest breweries.
My take on the breweries around. I don't like Northern Lights much. Decent food and decent beer. Their beer doesn't flow well for my taste, but I like darker beers. They taste like many other beers around and is nothing special, IMHO, although I have some friends that like them.
The Coeur d'Alene brewing company has some decent beers. I enjoy their Vanilla Bourbon Stout and a couple of their other beers. I'd recommend giving them a try.
Next to Northern Lights is Washingtons distillery, Dry Fly. They give mini tours but no samples.
Oh, in Coeur d'Alene is another distillery that has great food. Bardenay(Restaurant & Distillery in Boise, Eagle and Coeur d'Alene Idaho - Bardenay Restaurant and Distillery) its called.
Unfortunately we don't have many great breweries around. I have heard of a couple smaller ones that give tours in Spokane, but have yet to find any contact info on them(I guess they're that small)

Good luck! And if any Spokane people or northern Idaho people want to meet up, I'm totally game!

Jims is still around. However I wouldn't recommend going there just for beer. They have some hard to find beers, but many of them can be found around. Jim's, while I love them, cranks up the price for all of their bottles.

I agree that Jim's commercial beer selection is a bit overpriced, but Robert (the owner) is extremely particular about the freshness of his supply. If something is beyond the freshness date, he turns it back (and it inevitably ends up on the shelf somewhere else). This is important if your looking for a fresh bottle of IPA or Hefe or something else that doesn't necessarily get better with time.

Bottles, located in Millwood next to the Rocket Bakery, is good. I just found it the other day. Good prices and a great selection of beer.
Yokes and Huckleberry's are the only other two places I would look for beer. I don't think it would be worth the 30-45 minute drive from Coeur d'Alene though(I'm located in Liberty Lake, right on the Washington side of the border).

Speaking of Rocket Bakery, the downtown location (on 1st I think) has a pretty good beer selection. The Yokes on Hwy 2 has a fantastic selection, especially for a grocery store.

My take on the breweries around. I don't like Northern Lights much. Decent food and decent beer. Their beer doesn't flow well for my taste, but I like darker beers. They taste like many other beers around and is nothing special, IMHO, although I have some friends that like them.
The Coeur d'Alene brewing company has some decent beers. I enjoy their Vanilla Bourbon Stout and a couple of their other beers. I'd recommend giving them a try.
Next to Northern Lights is Washingtons distillery, Dry Fly. They give mini tours but no samples.
Oh, in Coeur d'Alene is another distillery that has great food. Bardenay(Restaurant & Distillery in Boise, Eagle and Coeur d'Alene Idaho - Bardenay Restaurant and Distillery) its called.
Unfortunately we don't have many great breweries around. I have heard of a couple smaller ones that give tours in Spokane, but have yet to find any contact info on them(I guess they're that small)

I'm not too big on the local breweries either. Northern Lights and Coeur d'Alene both make decent brews and are worth visiting, but I don't go to either very often. I'm not aware of any breweries aside from those two, but if you discover any please let me know. I visit breweries in Western Washington far more often than the local breweries. That's where the good stuff can be found.

I agree that Jim's commercial beer selection is a bit overpriced, but Robert (the owner) is extremely particular about the freshness of his supply. If something is beyond the freshness date, he turns it back (and it inevitably ends up on the shelf somewhere else). This is important if your looking for a fresh bottle of IPA or Hefe or something else that doesn't necessarily get better with time.
Hmm, interesting. I haven't bought much beer from him, just ingredients.
Speaking of Rocket Bakery, the downtown location (on 1st I think) has a pretty good beer selection. The Yokes on Hwy 2 has a fantastic selection, especially for a grocery store.
I like the one on Indian Trail.
Rocket Bakery I've never had beer at, I was turned off by them when they repeatedly gave me bad coffee and old bakery items.
The Viking, though, I love! Decent price for a pint, and lots of rotating taps.
I'm not too big on the local breweries either. Northern Lights and Coeur d'Alene both make decent brews and are worth visiting, but I don't go to either very often. I'm not aware of any breweries aside from those two, but if you discover any please let me know. I visit breweries in Western Washington far more often than the local breweries. That's where the good stuff can be found.
If you search Google for brewery in Spokane you will see a few pop up. I want to call them and see what they say.
Oh, CI Shenanigans has good beer. I've only had it a couple times, but they have good flavor.

+3 for Jim's. Very helpful, fresh stock, and they'll take the time to answer questions. I wish they would spend more money on their website, but the store is worth a four hour drive for me....

I was just at Couer d'Alene Brewing yesterday.

0714091121-feed.jpg

My wife had the Hot Foot IPA which was OK. I had the Scottish which was a bit more characterful than Highlander but far short of Great Divide's Claymore or Old Chub.

I enjoyed the cheese soup but I was disappointed in the food. If I am paying $10.50 for a Halibut Sammy, it shouldn't be round and pressed.

+1 on Laughing Dog in Sandpoint. That place has some killer IPAs - especially the Alpha Dog and Hopzilla Black Dog! GO!

+1 also. I rode in to Laughing Dog and was the only person there. The brewer and his wife chatted me up and gave me samples of all their stuff. I think the beer is top notch and just a cool place. No food, but that can be had in Sandpoint, which has a nice, quaint downtown area.

It just keeps getting better! Thanks! Jims is a for sure stop. Dannens, Laughing Dog and CDA Brewing Co also. So much "beer stuff" I'm not sure if the rest of the family will get to do anything. Well.....I may have to stop at a quilt shop or ten.

Bugbeer: Welcome, first of all!

Yes. I used to drive from Moscow to Jim's in Spokane when I was there... 20 years ago or so.

I am a Vandal.. 1989!

Thanks!

I'm just now getting into all grain and was looking for a place to buy it in bulk. Jim's it is!

Bugbeer: Welcome, first of all!

Yes. I used to drive from Moscow to Jim's in Spokane when I was there... 20 years ago or so.

I am a Vandal.. 1989!

I've got to give another nod to Laughing Dog in Sandpoint. I like all of their IPA's and their ESB it solid too. Also in Sandpoint is McDuff's Brewing, although it's more of a brewpub than an actuall brewery.

I dont know what direction you're coming from, but if you come via I-90 from the east you'll drive right through Wallace (look quickly or you'll miss it) where you might want to check out the new Wallace Brewing Co. I haven't been, but I've heard good things.

As for the CDA Brewing Co. I spent a lot (and I mean a lot..) of time there in college (another Vandal here) and my favorites were always the Scottish Ale and the Lakeside Ale. Even if you don't check out any beer at all it's an absolutely beautiful part of the country (esp Sandpoint, but I'm biased....;)

Thanks for all your suggestions. Ate at Daanen's today, AWESOME!!! Went to Sandpoint, hit Laughing Dog, nothing on tap or bottled that I had to have (really had my heart set on a Dogfather). Got two cool pint glasses though. Also stopped in at MickDuffs in dowtown Sandpoint, got a growler of Knucklehead. On the way in to Idaho, stopped at Full Sail Brewery in Hood River, got a porter and amber. Also ate at CDA Brewing , beer cheese soup was a hit with the wife and I had a great burger and porter. All in all, a great trip so far. Sitting by theSpokane River having a Full Sail ber as I type.

If you search Google for brewery in Spokane you will see a few pop up. I want to call them and see what they say.
Oh, CI Shenanigans has good beer. I've only had it a couple times, but they have good flavor.

Found one recently I didn't know about. It's called Golden Hills Brewing Co. in Airway Heights. I haven't tried anything from them yet but apparently they brew only lagers. They have one of their brews on tap at the Swinging Doors so I'll have to give it a try.

Got home last night. All the beer made it back unscathed (okay, well not all of it...some were sacrificed to the vacation gods). Thanks to all of you from the great Northwest.....lots of good suggestions made for a good "beer" trip.

Thanks!

I'm just now getting into all grain and was looking for a place to buy it in bulk. Jim's it is!

I also live in Moscow. I don't drive to Spokane just to go to Jims. But you can guarantee I will go there if I'm in town. They have a good selection of supplies and beers, and fair prices.

Found one recently I didn't know about. It's called Golden Hills Brewing Co. in Airway Heights. I haven't tried anything from them yet but apparently they brew only lagers. They have one of their brews on tap at the Swinging Doors so I'll have to give it a try.

They are new. Got a great review in the Spokesman a few months ago.

This is a bit late, but Wallace, ID., has a great new Brewery/Pub called North Idaho Mountain Brew/City Limits Pub. Right now NIMB has 4 fantastic beers that we brew; 2 Pale Ales, 1 Irish Red, and a great Amber. Our brewer is working on a Porter for the winter.

Well worth a trip to Wallace...108 Nine Mile Rd., just north of the Wallace Depot.

Bump.

The Coeur d'Alene brewery had to move when the landlord gave them the boot. He apparently wasn't getting enough income from a brew-pub and decided to renovate and get a higher margin tenant... Apparently they did not elect to continue brewing in CDA :(

On the bright side, a new brew-pub opened up in nearby Post Falls, called the Biplane Brewing Company. It's operated by a husband and wife who home-brewed as a hobby, and are now living the dream of making a living by brewing beer. Really nice folks! I encourage anyone who lives near or is passing through to visit. They are a block off I-90, and so not off the beaten path.

Caveat: I haven't yet tried their beer! I was on the way in to work one evening on night shift, and stopped by to investigate. They were happy to take me to the back of the store and show me their equipment and their product. As I said, nice people.

Update on the Bi-Plane Brewing Company in Post Falls. I stopped by specifically to sample some of their wares. I can't render a good opinion on IPA, since I don't really care for it. The Pusher APA was great and the Huckleberry Cream Ale was really great. Came away with a growler of that!

Back