Hemped Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hemp, the wonder plant (Male plants, not female). I wanted to see what kind of flavors hemp would impart in beer. Hemp has oils in it much like a hop.

I used EdWort's haus pale ale recipe which turns out consistent every time so I thought it would be a good recipe to find out what flavor hemp imparts.

I bottled it last night and it's very interesting. What seems to have happened is the mild hoppy/spicey/fruity/floral flavor in this beer was flattened out.

The oil from the hemp did not bitter the beer at all, which I though may be a possibility. I did .25oz of hemp at 45min.

I noticed the beer is a bit darker then the haus pale usually is.

All in all, it just toned down the peak hop flavors. The basic hop flavor is still there.

There is a very unique flavor in there, and I have a hard time explaining it. Kind of a mild but definately noticable resinated taste. Tastes like a very earthy beer, I am a fan.

Anyone else ever tried this?

I did it last week. But I used a half pound of toasted hemp seeds in the mash. The taste of the hemp came through rather nice.

Latest posts

Back