Vanilla Almond Porter Tweak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
My friend and I just brewed a "Viennese Spiced Porter" which really was just a porter with vanilla bean and almond extract used. The reciped called for one vanilla bean to be added when the beer was racked to the secondary and two teaspoons almond extract just before bottling. I wasn't looking for anything overpowering from them, but we can't find any hint of either essence. Any ideas as to how I can unmask this when brewing it again?

If the whole recipe would help, here it is:

5-gallon batch (extract w/ grains):

6 2/3 lbs. dark malt extract
1/2 lb. chocolate malt
1/4 lb. black patent malt
1 lb. rolled oats
2 oz. Mt. Hood Hops
1/2 oz. Fuggles Hops
1 Vanilla Bean
2 teaspoons Almond Extract
American Ale yeast

brackbrew said:
My friend and I just brewed a "Viennese Spiced Porter" which really was just a porter with vanilla bean and almond extract used. The reciped called for one vanilla bean to be added when the beer was racked to the secondary and two teaspoons almond extract just before bottling. I wasn't looking for anything overpowering from them, but we can't find any hint of either essence. Any ideas as to how I can unmask this when brewing it again?
two beans and more almond extract? maybe let real almonds sit in the carboy during secondary?

Ahh..The beauty in homebrewing, experiment. Try two beans and double the amount of almond extract. Heck, why not boil the two vanilla beans in the wort? If the essence is to subtle, you can always add more. Good Luck.

Why not just make several gallon batches, record your added ingredients (doubling the ingredients in each consecutive batch), drink and review each one.

I think the malts are overpowering the subtle flavors and you have to use a whole lot of vanilla and almond.

Good luck!

Back