BBQ guru

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smakudwn

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the BBQ guru for a WSM?

Been looking at them and they seem pretty nice, but for 300$ not sure if I could just build one myself.

I have it and have been very happy with it. It holds the temp rock solid, even on overnight cooks in the middle of a Wisconsin January. I also use it (without the fan) to monitor temps in the kettle grill when I cook larger cuts of meat.

I was thinking I could make something similar with an STC-1000 and a computer fan? But looking at the one from Auber that might be the way to go. I do wish it had a meat probe also, but for the price this seems to be a better option than the BBQ GURU.

I was thinking I could make something similar with an STC-1000 and a computer fan? But looking at the one from Auber that might be the way to go. I do wish it had a meat probe also, but for the price this seems to be a better option than the BBQ GURU.

I have a PitMaster on a UDS. It has worked very well for me and is about $100 less than the BBQ Guru.

I ended up making my own using one of Auber's 12v PID's, RTD, and one of their fans. Ended up being under $150 and works perfect

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I looked into that one. Looks like the probe won't survive above 500. Might not be an issue if you're careful not to let the smoker run away. But the Auber one has an optional probe that will survive to about 1000F. I think that's what I'll get so I don't ever have to worry about it.

Good point. Funny thing is I never have any issues with the WSM holding temp. I just never sleep very well doing an overnight smoke even though every time I check it, it is fine. Not sure I want to spend ~$140 for a piece of mind for a problem that doesn't exist.

Good point. Funny thing is I never have any issues with the WSM holding temp. I just never sleep very well doing an overnight smoke even though every time I check it, it is fine. Not sure I want to spend ~$140 for a piece of mind for a problem that doesn't exist.

I have thought about this as well, but I have never run the smoker at anything but 225. I was thinking with one of these it would be easier to do things like cold smoke? I am still on the fence.

They are enormously handy in the kettle grill as well, which is why I like a meat probe that can survive high temps.

I was thinking about that too, I could outfit both my weber grill and the WSM with the fitting and just switch between the 2. Or just use it on the kettle so I can smoke more???

I just use the meat probe in the kettle grill just to keep close eye on the meat temp. The fan fitting stays with the WSM.

I really only use it with larger cuts like pork tenderloin, and when i cook brats, (I usually stick the probe in one of them, which is the sacrificial brat that the cook eats.)

We typically use a meat probe for larger roasts and tend to start them off a LOT higher than 500. I wouldn't trust anything for my grill that would melt near 500.
Larger roasts - prime rib, turkey, etc.

passedpawn said:
I've got a WSM and a Weber Performer. I'd really want my controller and probe to work with both. Who doesn't want another toy?

A Pitmaster comes with a universal adapter that can be moved from one to the other. I think if you get a guru you'll have to get two adapters and kill plugs. Not sure about stoker and/or Auber. You can make your own called a heater meter.

Very much this, but I've taken to just letting it cruise and getting 5hr naps at a time.

Even if it varies in the 225-275 area, I'm happy. I don't want to lift the center ring off of the WSM if I can help it, that stuff gets heavy.

Back