rubber bung in beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnymagic86

Reaction score
So I after I pitched my yeast I pushed a rubber bung too far in the carboy. As I tried to get it out it went farther in, long story short it went all the way threw. My question is will this effect the beer at all to have a rubber stopper floating in it during primary fermentation?

It'll be fine unless you had some nasty crustaceans on the bung from previous brews and did not sanitize it. Just place another bung/airlock on it.

It is a brand new bung that has never been used and I obviously sanitized it before I pushed it in.

You should be fine.

I've got a porter sitting in secondary right now that went through primary with a silicone bung and a sample glass :eek: in it. Can't say for 100% sure it's not infected, but it was tasty and pellicle-free when I racked it...

I did that once. Just left it in the brew, put on another one for the fermentation and worried about getting it out after the fact. Beer turned out fine.

There is a good trick for getting them out of the carboy.............

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks beergolf! After I did it I was wondering how in the world I was going to get it out of there.

Been there, done that on both accounts. Beer was fine despite my constant worrying, and (use a Walmart or similar plastic sack to get the bung out) the removal trick worked like a charm! :)

I first read the title as, "Rubbing bung in beer." In that case, yes. Yes, it would effect your beer...probably more like infect.

I have fermented with a bung in the carboy, and dropped and o-ring in the keg too. Just make sure you always have spares!

Gee, I've never heard of anyone poking the bung into the fermenter before. Did you do that on purpose? What kind of flavor profile are you expecting? I would expect you would get a much more pronounced rubber flavor if you put it in the boil, instead of putting it in primary. Of course, there's also the possibility of creating a "bung tea" and putting that in the secondary. Personally I would use the Italian bungs. Much more of a aromatic flavor. :p

Back