I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in Army surplus today and found a ton of I think liter glass things one would put on a stir plate for 5 bucks I think they were. Good price or should I pass them up. Also saw a bunch of 15 gallon fermenter's for 24 bucks. They were stamped with the #2 on the bottom. Good or bad?

If they were pyrex that is a really good price on the beaker/flask.

I wish we had a good army Surplus store near by, ours are all pretty lame. When I was rebuilding my M38 jeep I got in some awesome and some scary places in the pursuit of surplus jeep parts.

Slide Ireland If you ever get a chance to see these guys live, they put on a awesome show.

By the time the night was over, the entire top of the fiddle was covered in rosin dust.

I think this kid could give Charlie Daniels a run for his money

Last edited by a moderator:
And I am done brewing. 6 more gallons that will be ready in 6 weeks:ban:

Well when I saw them I was thinking fermenter. The whole top comes off and the lid has a rubber seal on it. All a guy needs to do is drill a hole and party on. Not so sure about the glass stuff though. I will check next time I am in

Some good music tonight:rockin:

Man, our arrest logs are so crazy to look through.. They should make high school kids look at these, to scare them straight. Here's a cute one. Arrested for public intoxication and instigating a fight. Looks like he shouldn't have done that.

image-1134616015.jpg

Just throwing this out there. This thread is awesome because of the amazing people sharing here. Seems it was a bit quiet today. It's Monday.

I'm working weird hours again this week. Hope to keep up with you all.

Keep on keeping on.

I was hooked on reading the wet shaving thread all night at work. Bastards converted me haha.

Man, our arrest logs are so crazy to look through.. They should make high school kids look at these, to scare them straight. Here's a cute one. Arrested for public intoxication and instigating a fight. Looks like he shouldn't have done that.

Is that a missing eye and do you think he lost it in the fight?

Last time I was in a physical fight (except for the time that the guy hit me with my hat on the top of my head) I was in the 11th grade. He walked away with a strawberry with his cheek and I had sore knuckles. The idea of losing an eye never really occured to me (and I'm sure not to him either).

If I'm ever getting heated about something, Im going to think to myself "y'know, let this escalate and you could lose a frigging eye."

Or... maybe worse... "let this escalate and you could make this yutz lose an eye". Imagine living the rest of your damn life knowing you had physically pulled an eye out of someone's head?

God... I think I need to visit one of those cute puppies websites just thinking about it.

Or... maybe worse... "let this escalate and you could make this yutz lose an eye". Imagine living the rest of your damn life knowing you had physically pulled an eye out of someone's head?

God... I think I need to visit one of those cute puppies websites just thinking about it.

Last fight I was in ended with me taking a 2x4 across the face. I still have a scar in my eyebrow to show for it. Knocked me out cold. That could have ended much more badly, as you are suggesting. I don't think I ever won a fight.

Now for my puppy!

untitled9-58365.jpg

As a kid I used to enjoy fighting. Used to go out looking for a dust up and found one about every weekend it seemed.

Man even if you win you still end up hurting because the other guy is going to get some good licks in. Just not worth it any more

And after that last post comes some real wisdom. I think it was Passedpawn that recommended I read this poem

Code:
Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

© Max Ehrmann 1927

CreamyGoodness said:
Is that a missing eye and do you think he lost it in the fight?
Man, I'm not sure. He's still cooling his heels in county though, so for the price of a plane ticket you could come on over and get the whole story from him. Visiting hours are 2-4.

If the NYPD cracked down on public intoxication most of the neighborhoods in Manhattan would pretty much fold. Hell, Chelsea has been where NYU goes to vomit for decades now.

I have seen NYPD give people crap for open containers though. In my opinion thats kind of weak sauce.

I love the charges. We don't arrest people for that stuff. If its not at least assault, it's really nothing.

I would think if you arrested every drunk and disorderly, your jail system wouldn't hold them all would it, just from the sheer number of people in NYC, that could be a lot of drunk idiots.

Creamy, open containers are illegal in the city. Over all, I actually agree with the law because its usually the only way to shut down out door 'parties' on the sidewalks at 3 am driving the neighborhood nuts.

Creamy, open containers are illegal in the city. Over all, I actually agree with the law because its usually the only way to shut down out door 'parties' on the sidewalks at 3 am driving the neighborhood nuts.

I agree on that, and I know its illegal, but I think giving the 70 year old Greek man a chance to toss out his brown-bag brewsky would be a good thing. I have memories of an incident that didn't sit well with me about a year ago. Of course, I have no context, maybe this old fool is constantly getting in trouble for this, but in broken English he offered to throw it away and they really got up in his face and wrote him a citation.

Long post and not much worth reading but it is a vindication of my beliefs.
...a lot of time to ponder our meaning in life. Be it a belief in god or whatever that gives you direction in life I would like to know and understand your beliefs. I am not judgmental and if you would rather write it down and PM me I would like that as well. I am trying to sort all this out in my bean though and I am hoping hearing about some of your beliefs will help.

Thank you for sharing Varmintman.
I believe very much in what goes around, comes around. I feel that it is my duty to teach those who come into my life, whether we share a few, days, months or years; that life it too short to carry grudges or to treat each other with ill will.
I wish you well my friend!

I don't post often and do a lot of reading but this thread has become one of my favorites. Thank you.

Last fight I was in ended with me taking a 2x4 across the face. I still have a scar in my eyebrow to show for it. Knocked me out cold. That could have ended much more badly, as you are suggesting. I don't think I ever won a fight.

Now for my puppy!

untitled9-58365.jpg

Non sequitur much? This is possibly the best post I have ever seen on any forum. :D

For all my myriad good attributes (*cue laughtrack*) one of my major failings is my ability to hold a grundge pretty much indefinitely. It doesnt help that the one time I buried the hatchet with someone after he made what I thought was a heartfelt effort to reconcile he later slapped a female friend of ours across the face.

Now for my puppy!

untitled9-58365.jpg

That has to be cutest bunch of puppies I've ever seen. I want one! Ok, I like the idea of having one, but I really don't. Well, maybe. Must....look....away.....

Non sequitur much? This is possibly the best post I have ever seen on any forum. :D

That has to be cutest bunch of puppies I've ever seen. I want one! Ok, I like the idea of having one, but I really don't. Well, maybe. Must....look....away.....

Hah, you guys like my vizsla. I'll tell her. She's the one on the bottom right. Best dog ever.

I freaked out today about yellow printer ink. Why must I have to have yellow if I just want to print black and white!! I had black and white checked, checked twice, still printer saying 'you must replace a cartridge before continuing' and then something like {YELLOW} must be replaced. Why yellow? I only want black and white!!!

Got so mad, but calmed down now. I will complain to the printer company unless I figure out it how to print black and white without having yellow. At the same time my best friend is running out to the store to get me yellow. I called her for help. She couldn't figure out how to do it either, refused to print unless it had yellow!!!:drunk:

Why do I need yellow to print black and white!!! :mad:

I hope my RL friends don't find me here, or family. I said a lot of stupid things about them. In anger. I apologize to all I have offended. :eek: And will continue to {offend} because I have more to say.

I have found that when I completely freak out, suddenly, I am surrounded by help. Like a kid throwing a temper tantrum. Hey, it works! Got my friend to run a few more errands for me too, bills, bank, etc... she's taking care of it.

Ahhh... the aftermath of a temper tantrum, relaxing with a brew while everything gets done. :mug:

CreamyGoodness said:
For all my myriad good attributes (*cue laughtrack*) one of my major failings is my ability to hold a grundge pretty much indefinitely. It doesnt help that the one time I buried the hatchet with someone after he made what I thought was a heartfelt effort to reconcile he later slapped a female friend of ours across the face.

I'm the same way, I am forgiving to a fault. I'm like the young Indian chief who gets back to the village to find that one of the braves has claimed his wife, so he gives them his horse and blanket as well. I mean I've actually really done that, in a modern day equivalence(isn't that modest?:) I used to think that it made me weak, but as I've gotten older I've realized that you can't allow the actions of others to affect your character. That would be letting them control you. You didn't have any way of knowing what that other guy was going to do, and while there may at times be a thin line between naivety a being nice, I'd feel better at night knowing that I gave someone a chance they didn't deserve than being molded after the crappy spirit of the world.

I think a couple people confused about the forgiving thing. For some it's easy, for some not so easy, are we really being timed? Imagine if we had a deadline for the beer to be finished!

I'm the same way, I am forgiving to a fault. I'm like the young Indian chief who gets back to the village to find that one of the braves has claimed his wife, so he gives them his horse and blanket as well. I mean I've actually really done that, in a modern day equivalence(isn't that modest?:) I used to think that it made me weak, but as I've gotten older I've realized that you can't allow the actions of others to affect your character. That would be letting them control you. You didn't have any way of knowing what that other guy was going to do, and while there may at times be a thin line between naivety a being nice, I'd feel better at night knowing that I gave someone a chance they didn't deserve than being molded after the crappy spirit of the world.

:) I actually meant the opposite. For whatever reason I have remembered every mistep, trespass, humiliation, wound and barb since I have been aware of the world. I still remember my parents looking to whomever might be in the room and saying "aww he's tired!" whenever I fussed about something real or imagined. Sometimes I will call my father out of the blue just to remind him that this is one of the reasons Ill be putting him in the home when he gets old. Take that pop.

Seriously though, I retain a lot of anger, hate and vitriole.... its not good for me.

I'm with BB. I like to sleep good, like a baby. That means I usually settle for the crappy end of the stick.

:) I actually meant the opposite.

Seriously though, I retain a lot of anger, hate and vitriole.... its not good for me.

You are so young, for most people it takes a long time to learn forgiveness. You are perfectly normal. You'll age in time.... everything will start making sense. :p

Back