Belgian Dubbel flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a couple Dubbels as I have grown very fond of them. My favorite that I have tried is a very dark amber almost purple. It is very string in the dark fruit, raisin, plum type flavors. What grains can or should I add and at what % to get these flavors? Or is it more from the yeast?

Thanks!

Part of it is from the yeast, and part of it is from the grain. The esters (fruitiness) and phenols (spicy, clove) flavors come from the yeast but there are other flavors that come from the grain and dark candi sugar. For the raisin/prune flavor, Special B (a specialty grain) is commonly used.

Yooper said:
Part of it is from the yeast, and part of it is from the grain. The esters (fruitiness) and phenols (spicy, clove) flavors come from the yeast but there are other flavors that come from the grain and dark candi sugar. For the raisin/prune flavor, Special B (a specialty grain) is commonly used.

Is there a max percent I shouldn't exceed? I'm trying to keep the color right also, though to a lesser degree

Check out Brew Like a Monk. It has many answers when it comes to the trappist-type beers.

Latest posts

Back