Anyone Brewing? - 11-30-2007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromley

Reaction score
I was all excited as I was brewing today to hop on here, and see what everyone else was brewing. Then I remembered today is Friday. Most people probably don't have the day off, ooops.

I brewed a clone of a beer my uncle claims to be the best Porter he's had: Great Lakes Brewing Company's Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. This was my second AG batch with no help from the guy who got me started with AG. Everything went smooth and I just about hit my calculated SG dead on. Assuming the recipe was decent, we should be drinking a fine Porter in a month and a half.

Anywhoo, if anybody else did brew today I'd be interested in hearing what it was and how it went. And for all you poor saps who had to work today, what are you brewing tomorrow?! :tank:

Just hanging out with Tim O and Mr Coffee out back at MBC, brewing on Tim O's rig-and drinking.

Nothing this weekend, but now I've got all the pieces together to get my faucets hooked up for the kegerator. I'll be brewing NEXT Friday, though.

At the risk of being labled a wimp...

It's about 28 F here today and snow, ice and sleet are forecast for tomorrow. I suppose I could brew in my garage (which is not attached to the house), but that would entail trying to unthaw my garden hose if I want to use my wort chiller. I think I may just wait to see if "global warming" gives us some warmer weather yet before winter really sets in.

Hi all,
I will be brewing a porter myself either tomorrow or sunday. It must be porter season. I've not had the Edmund Fitz, but will be out in Michigan for Xmas - is it still available?

It's about 28 F here today and snow, ice and sleet are forecast for tomorrow. I suppose I could brew in my garage (which is not attached to the house), but that would entail trying to unthaw my garden hose if I want to use my wort chiller. I think I may just wait to see if "global warming" gives us some warmer weather yet before winter really sets in.

McCall St. Brewer said:

That's the difference b/w cheeseheads and yoopers!! Tomorrow I'll be doing a double batch of porters in the front yard, on the shores of gitchigumi :rockin:

Today is The Brew Hut Dunkleweizen, a recipe from an issue of BYO in 2005, and tomorrow is Screwball, a recipe I came up with on my own, influenced by Pyramid Curveball. :ban:

I've got a hefe to brew this weekend. I'm not exactly "worried" but I crushed the grains last week and then wasn't able to brew last. :(

I'm thinking I'll get 10 pounds of MO too and do a 5 gallon SMaSH on Sunday.

Yup. I have another pound of honey steeping in abotu 1 cup of water now. Once it cools I'll be racking an inprogress mead onto it. And I am starting another one gallon mead tonight.

I have to bake this weekend and the 08-08-08 RIS has my primary tied up.

But if my Apfel Wine drops clear I'll bottle that and free up five more one gallon pilots.

Ah, don't let the weather stop you. It was about the same here today. We got somewhere around 6" of snow. I just haul the kettle inside to chill. Also, a washing machine hose makes an excellent chiller exit hose.

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

Edmond Fitzgeral ahh great beer, not as good as Commadore Perry IPA though. Great Lakes Brewing Company is awesome. As a die hard Steeler fan I always refer to Great Lakes beers as "the only good thing to ever come out of Cleveland". As far as brewing goes, I'm bottling a blonde ale tommorrow to give out a couple holiday 6 packs to my BMC drinking friends.

did my first belgian yesterday. golden strong ale. everything went reasonably well, little low on efficiency though. tomorrow (well technically later this morning) i'll be doing my first double brew day. i've been culturing a $h!t ton of the Wyeast fat tire VSS and just prepared my vials for freezing, re-built a big starter, and now i'm ready to do fat tire AND sunshine on the same day. pretty excited, better get to bed so i'm not cleaning kettles and MLTs at this time tomorrow!

It looks like an Alt Bier for me. The temps are getting cold, I'll do some cold conditioning up in the attic and drink it come February or March...

I have been busy today. I transfered some IPA to the secondary, started some Apfelwein, got some Bitter going and I am about to start my Imperial IPA. I think my wife is quite annoyed with my new obsession.

I can't brew this weekend because all my primaries are full.
I can't empty my primaries, because all my secondaries are full. :)
I can't empty the secondaries because all my kegs are full. :)
Unfortunately, I do have some empty bottles, so today, I will be bottling 2 1/2 cases of cider and 2 1/2 cases of pale ale. :(
But next week, SWMBO goes away for the weekend, and I will have two primaries empty.:D

-a.

This is the recipe I used for the clone, which we have tentatively named Edmundo Fauxgerald. It came from one of those clone recipe books. Can't remember which one now. It's pretty simple really. The hops were given in alpha acid units, which I converted for the AA% my hops had.

8lb pale malt
3/4 lb crystal 60L
1/2 lb chocolate
1/2 lb roasted

3/4 oz Northern Brewer 90 min
3/4 oz Fuggles 60 min
3/4 oz Cascade 30 min
3/4 oz Cascade 0 min

WLP002 English Ale Yeast

First AG today!!!! Making an IPA!!!! Actually, I think Im gonna start....... Now!!!!:ban:

gotta do me another batch of ed's haus pale ale sunday morning. sunday night i'm going to show a friend how to brew a belgian wit recipe.

the_wrath_of_Khan said:
I have been busy today. I transfered some IPA to the secondary, started some Apfelwein, got some Bitter going and I am about to start my Imperial IPA. I think my wife is quite annoyed with my new obsession.

I know the feeling...
when I start talking about beer, my wife's eyes glaze over,
but the kicker for her is the mess... first I had a starter decide to get
too aggressive and end up all over the counter and the floor,
and last night I over aerated and ended up with about half a gallon
of wort all over the counter and floor. She will be very glad when
I complete my new basement brewing space.

rabidgerbil said:
I know the feeling...
when I start talking about beer, my wife's eyes glaze over,
but the kicker for her is the mess... first I had a starter decide to get
too aggressive and end up all over the counter and the floor,
and last night I over aerated and ended up with about half a gallon
of wort all over the counter and floor. She will be very glad when
I complete my new basement brewing space.
No basements in Japanese houses and ****ty kitchens make for a even more pissed off wife than normal. Hopefully my beer turns out good because it will be worth it then.

Yeah, my wife is not the biggest beer fan in the world, but there are a few she does like, so my goal is to brew something that she enjoys, so she will start to appreciate this all a little more

I brewed on friday as well, but I had to play hookey to do it. In my opinion, it was wayyyyy worth it, 5.5 Gallons of tasty APA is better than work ANY day!:mug:
-zach

Well, we have a major storm coming in, so I might be in the brewery tomorrow, just for the heat. I have heatpump & a lousy fireplace insert, so no power means cold.

Brewing an all Simcoe IPA.

Outside.

In the snow.

Its cold, and I managed to squirt myself with my garden hose while cleaning my mash tun.

-D

Llarian said:
Brewing an all Simcoe IPA.

Outside.

In the snow.

Its cold, and I managed to squirt myself with my garden hose while cleaning my mash tun.

-D

What part of Seattle you in?
I am in the south end, down near Renton, up on a hill, and it is coming down good.
as to the garden hose, I don't even want to think about that... youch

Was going to brew today but after a long session with the dentist this morning i was a little lazy and am going to brew tomorrow (i hope).

rabidgerbil said:
What part of Seattle you in?
I am in the south end, down near Renton, up on a hill, and it is coming down good.
as to the garden hose, I don't even want to think about that... youch

Georgetown. It was definitely a chilly experience, but at least I got my beer made and spent the rest of the day inside where its warm and I could enjoy some homebrew without freezing my nuts off. =)

-D

Back