Bought the wrong pump...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMikeAZ

Reaction score
But maybe it can be useful for something.

I purchased a Shurflow 2088-403-444 for 15 bucks on the fly hoping to get away with a steal. Well, apparently the casing and parts are able to withstand 90 degrees Celsius, as the case states on it, but when I got home, the spec sheet says the liquid it would pump is only 130 something degrees Fahrenheit.

So I am wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I may be able to still use this for.

Thanks,
Mike

I imagine Phoenix is blistering hot in the summer and the ground water is pretty warm. Some people use a cooler full of ice and water and recirculate the IC water through the ice. I think most who do that use an immersible pump but you could make an external pump work for you. You would use the IC with tap water to bring the wort down below 130 or lower and then use the ice water.

Those make great coldside transfer pumps. And id be tempted to try filtering with it.

I live in phoenix as well. I would use it for chilling your wort if you don't already use recirculated ice water. Or like TomSD suggested a carbon washer is on my list of things to build.

i paid $80 for my 120v version of that pump. i use it for a glycol chiller/recirculator. it would also work for a CIP or keg/bottle washer. that thing has some power to it. unfortunately the "12v DC" part makes it a little difficult to use.

Those make great coldside transfer pumps. And id be tempted to try filtering with it.

I have been very interested in filtering my beer. I'm gonna check out the projects list and search for some ideas. I did see that there are inline filters I could get.

Thanks Guys!

Latest posts

Back