White Grape Juice Substitute in EdWorts Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srb3189

Reaction score
Hello all,

This past weekend I made Edworts Apfelwein recipe to the letter and it is fermenting as we speak. Looks ideal, very active, and smells like "Rhino Farts".

Anyways, I was thinking about subbing 100% white grape juice instead of apple juice for this. How do you think it would turn out? Additionally, should I use another yeast instead of Montrachet? Like a champagne yeast?

Thanks,
Steve

I am thinking of doing this with blueberry juice and honey instead of apple and corn sugar. My first batch of Apfelwine just hit the keg. Seems like something that would be fun to play around with!

You could always try a one gallon batch to see how it turned out before in vesting in 5 gallons.

Check out my "Welch's recipe". You can use either the 100% niagara (white) or the 100% concord juice, and leave out some of the "extras" if you want, like the pectic enzyme and acid blend. I think it makes the wine better, but many people use just the juice and sugar.

Back