Oatmeal Stout Best Laid Plans [Oatmeal Stout]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about using the same recipe but concentrating it down to 5.5G to bring the OG up to 1.054. Do you think this would be too harsh tasting then??
Hmm...I don't think I realized the recipe started at 6.6 and did just what you said. Here's the recipe I made:

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Oatmeal Stout
Brewer: Joe Fisher
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 7.03 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 33.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
9.00 lb       Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)              Grain        81.82 %       
1.00 lb       Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        9.09 %        
0.50 lb       Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)           Grain        4.55 %        
0.50 lb       Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)                Grain        4.55 %        
1.00 oz       Galena [14.20 %]  (40 min)                Hops         38.4 IBU      
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
1 Pkgs        Safale (DCL Yeast #US-05)                 Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
----------------------------
Double Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
30 min        Protein Rest       Add 9.90 qt of water at 132.1 F     122.0 F       
30 min        Saccrification     Add 8.80 qt of water at 206.7 F     158.0 F   

Sparge with 3.93 gal of 168.0 F water.

Actual OG was 1.051, FG 1.012 for an ABV of 5.08%.

It just keeps getting better as it sits in the keg.

-Joe

Obviously that promash->beerxml converter leaves some things to be desired. :D

My own system with a 25L final boil volume gets me 23L into the fermenter once I've chilled and racked off the break and hops.

I mash this at 156F.

thanks for the recipe bradsul! this is the first stout that i have made. normally i stick to ales, but it was nice to have a change. It's been a little over 3 months since brew day, and the beer has gotten progressively better every week since kegging. about 2 months after brew day (pretty much when your recipe says lol) the beer turned into a majestic liquid, capable of currying the favor of many stout loving chicks (i have awesome female friends).
It is an amazing beer and i will definitely make it again. the only issue i have is that the stout has a slight after taste, it is a sort of twang. has anyone else experienced this? it could very well be my methods, i did drop this beer on top of a yeast cake from ed's haus pale ale, and i boil in an aluminum pot. could either of these have caused this effect? now that i think about it, i havn't checked my water chemistry yet... that's probably it:drunk:

Glad to hear you like it so much! I wish I had more female friends like you, mine don't like my stouts.

I've never noticed any kind of twang myself. If you used a full yeast cake that could possibly cause some off flavours due to over pitching.

This looks great, I have been looking for a "session" oatmeal stout. I am hosting a "Low Gravity Throwdown" for 6 guys I brew with, and I want to do something different from the special bitters that I expect will be brewed by most of the guys.

I also have been interested in trying Simpson's Naked Golden Oats. Any opinions out there on subbing this grain for the flaked oats? They tasted nutty and sweetly toasted-like oatmeal cookies-when I grabbed a few kernels at my LHBS.

I've not tried that particular product, but there is a nice subtle flavour change when I tried making this with toasted flaked oats. It didn't really appear until about 2 months after brew day when the roasted flavours finally settled down a bit.

I brewed a half batch of this yesterday as well. Hit all the numbers perfect. First all grain I was able to do that with. Fermenting 8 hours later. Don't know how I am going to wait three months. It's going to be really tough.

I'll be brewing this tonight. Going to go start grinding my grains right now. =)

I converted to a 6gal (post boil) batch for anyone interested.

8lbs1.5oz Munich
15oz Flaked Oats
9.6oz Roasted Barley
9.6oz Chocolate Malt

.75oz Chinook @60m (my Chinooks are 11.7%, and this puts me at 37IBU as calculated in the original recipe, by the Rager scale)

Well, I cracked my first bottle of this just now. I've been kegging since starting this wacky hobby, but like my stouts in bottles. I like to hole some away to see how they age, even if they're not particularly Big, Bad, or Fancy. I also don't drink too much of a stout compared to the APA/IPA's that I favor, so bottling makes sense. It also makes it easier to bring a couple bottles to the back yard and enjoy with a fine cigar.. Stout and a stogie - one of life's greatest pleasures! :rockin:

This recipe made a clean, delicious, creamy stout that I would be proud to serve to guests. Even my uncultured palate can taste the difference in this Munich-based recipe vs. the typical 2-row/Pale/MO base. Very smooth and velvety, with a frothy and persistent bit of a head - neither the roasted barley nor the chocolate is over done as it sometimes can be (IMO) in a "session" stout. Like I said, my palate's not too refined, but I almost think there's a bit of a nutty aftertaste going on here. This one is easy to drink, tastes great, and is begging me to go pop another.

Without further adieu, I'm going to go do just that.

Thanks for the recipe! :mug:

I'll be brewing this tonight. Going to go start grinding my grains right now. =)

I converted to a 6gal (post boil) batch for anyone interested.

8lbs1.5oz Munich
15oz Flaked Oats
9.6oz Roasted Barley
9.6oz Chocolate Malt

.75oz Chinook @60m (my Chinooks are 11.7%, and this puts me at 37IBU as calculated in the original recipe, by the Rager scale)

Just kegged this one. I brewed it in early December and my SG 1.055. The Gravity now is at 1.025... Bummed but the sample tastes great. I had some power surges that kept my fermentation closet temps kind of sporadic. It does taste a bit carbonated so might be that my reading is off. Can't wait to try it again!

This one sounded like a hit so I brewed a batch last night! My ending boil volume was about 5.5gal with an OG of 1.050. Planning to let it sit in primary for at least a month and in the bottle for at least another month. We shall see if my patience holds out. :D

It has been a little over 6 weeks since brew day. This stout has only been sitting in bottles for about two weeks and it's already tasting pretty good! It has a thick, creamy head. Texture is smooth. As the OP mentioned, roasted flavors are dominant right now so there is not much maltiness, but I am sure it will come around.

I was surprised at how mild this stout was! I'm so used to buying rougher stouts with higher IBUs and packed with flavors. With this brew, you could easily drink several of them without it being overwhelming.

Does anyone know if this recipe would be a good candidate to be converted to a chocolate stout?

Got my first stout in the pail and just pitched the yeast. The OG sample tastes great! I plan on letting this sit until football season.

Cheers and thanks for the recipe.

This beer has been on my to do list for quite some time now but can see the light at the end of the tunnel to this guys brew day. Has anyone done this with WLP001? I will be doing a porter in a couple of weeks and was hoping to wash the yeast and use it for this.

I know this is an old thread, but any thoughts on how adding say, 2 lbs marris Otter to the grain bill to bump it up to 5.5% or so would affect the beer?

I'm actually considering brewing this tomorrow....with a bit of vanilla, oddly enough. I guess we'll see what happens. Should be the perfect brew to help whittle down that 50# sack of munich!

Ok, so I'm a couple weeks behind on this, but I'm heating the mash water now. Brewing 11gals.... will split it in half and do one half with cocoa and vanilla, the other half regular stout...although I'm sure this is no "regular" stout :)

Made this beer a couple months ago now and just started in to my second keg of it. I haven't tasted it too critically, but I'd say it's a solid oatmeal stout. I don't recall exactly what - if anything - I changed of the original recipe, but I don't think it was much. You can check out my recipe and narrative if you're interested here: http://smallbatchbrew.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/oatmeal-stout-brew-2/

I was looking for a good oatmeal Stout recipe and found this! Thanks for posting this as it got some amazing reviews after reading all the pages. I will be making this very soon. Cheers.

Brewing this up today. Modified a bit for what I had on hand, plus a partial mash:

• Assuming 55% efficiency for me (roughly 1.047 or so, but I'm not confident in my efficiency level yet)
  • 4lb Maris Otter
  • 3lb Maris Otter Liquid Extract
  • 2lb Vienna Malt
  • 1.5lb 100% Whole Rolled Oats ("Instant" from local grocery)
  • 10oz Chocolate Malt
  • 10oz Roasted Barley
  • .7oz Columbus Hops @ 60min (35 IBU)
  • BRY-97 Dry Yeast
  • --> 167F Strike Temp, 156F Mash Temp

I'm also using Bru'n water's "Malty Black" profile, with distilled water:
  • .2 grams/gallon gypsum
  • .3 grams/gallon Calcium Chloride
  • .3 grams/gallon Chalk/Calcium Carbonate
  • .3 grams/gallon Baking Soda
  • --> 8lb grain * 1.5 quart/lb ==> 3 gallons mash water
  • --> .6 grams gypsum in mash water
  • --> .9 grams Calcium Chloride,Chalk,Baking Soda
  • --> Recommended no gypsum or Baking Soda in sparge water (but scaled the rest appropriately)
  • --> Mash PH 5.7 // 82 Residual Alkalinity

Update: Batch tasted delicious going into the fermenter. Final OG: 1.049 (I got about 55% efficiency). May want to mix the grain up, I had a definite "layer" of oats in my bag (i do "brew in a bag) which may have prevented some of the lower layers (dark roasts) from being completely sparged. Oh well, super excited!

wow, i did two weeks ago a munich stout that is very very close to this one!

some one got attenuation problems? munich base + 20 min at 158f (forgot to change pid settings!) and 40min at 154,5 , og 1046 fg 1021, 7,5gal and 3packs of us05
i'm a little bit "scared" of this high fg!

Brewing this right now. Only changes are CTZ for Galena and WY1098 as the yeast.

I've been excited to try this for a little while, thanks for sharing it.

Latest posts

Back