burnt spot on bottom of wort??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
Hi.

I just finished transferring my wort to the glass carboy and noticed a few burnt marks on the bottom of my wort?? Will this be a problem? I thought I was very careful in constantly stirring during the boil cycle but somehow still got a few burn marks.. will this ruin my beer??????????? or is there still a chance it will turn out ok?

thanks...

Also, I used a couple different kind of hop pellets in this batch. I assume I was supposed to strain by cooled wort before pouring into the glass carboy, correct??

kfgolfer said:
Hi.

I just finished transferring my wort to the glass carboy and noticed a few burnt marks on the bottom of my wort?? Will this be a problem? I thought I was very careful in constantly stirring during the boil cycle but somehow still got a few burn marks.. will this ruin my beer??????????? or is there still a chance it will turn out ok?

thanks...

Also, I used a couple different kind of hop pellets in this batch. I assume I was supposed to strain by cooled wort before pouring into the glass carboy, correct??

From what I've read, scorching might affect the flavor of the beer. But, relax and wait to see how it tastes in the end. Certainly, I wouldn't dump it.

You can strain the hops out at anytime before bottling. If they got into the primary or secondary, it is no problem. Many brewers specifically add hops to the secondary, called "dry hopping". Using different kinds of hops is fine also. RDWHAHB. :D

I had the same problem with my current batch, because my stainless steel pot doesn't have a very thick bottom. I just popped open the first bottles last night, though, and there's no burn flavor. I'd say wait and see.

Great. Thanks for the feedback. I hope it will taste ok because it was a lot of work!! I guess my stainless steel pot has a thin bottom as well. I stirred the heck out of it so I am really surprised it had burn marks.

any way I can avoid this next time, short of buying another pot because this one cost me $50

On my very first brew, I used LME and scorched it a bit. The LME sank straight to the bottom, and I hadn't turned down the burner. Doh!

The beer came out fine.

Did you taste the wort? For me, that's one of the advantages of measuring OG -- you get a small sample for tasting!

Get a burner diffuser at a kitchen store. Mine is a perforated steel plate. It isn't very thick, but it does the job.

David 42,
I'm not sure what a burner diffuser is? can you explain? I also cook with a gas stove...

I know someone, yeah that's right, some other guy, that had such a bad scorch on the keggle that the brew came out looking like a dark porter as opposed to a medium ale. I, I mean he, let it sit in primary for 9 days then to secondary where it is at 3 weeks & counting. Tastes like an extremely over-hopped bitter but it has definitely subsided since brew day. In fact, one of the secondaries tastes like a burnt chocolate chip cookie, which I happen to love. I think with an extra long conditioning period, it will be good.

Back