Single tier metal frame without welding?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jikastew

Reaction score
Anyone have pics of a brewstand frame they've made without welding? I've seen angle iron frames and iron pipe frames before but can't seem to find pics of any of them.

Or is it worth it to have a local welder do one for me? I just need a single tier frame.

just collect bed frame, cut them up with an angle grinder, and assemble them with machine screws.

I built this system from a storage rack I bought from Tractor Supply Company. I had to strengthen the base by bolting some cutdown bedframe angle iron from leg-to-leg across the short side of the base (green lengths of angle iron at the base.) I added casters to the bottom so that it was mobile. I used a length of perforated angle iron/steel that I bought at Lowes to attach the burners, bolting it to one pair of shelf supports that came with the unit to allow adjustment. I used another length of angle iron (thicker, non-perforated) for the supports for the keggle. The Boil kettle is large enough to only need support on three sides, but another lenth of angle iron would work if two keggles were used.

The two largest advantages of this rack is that it breaks down quickly (I can break it down or set it up in about 5 mins) and it allows for adjustment of the height of the burners or kettle support. The rack is made of 14 gauge steel and is pretty strong. The wire shelf supports that came with the unit are plenty strong enough to support the propane tanks, pump, etc.

IMG_1779r.jpg

IMG_1788r.jpg

Well I spent yesterday working on single tier designs. I have 2 major concerns.

1. Welding. I wasn't going to weld one. But, after thinking about it, I'm probably going to learn how to weld. I've always wanted to do it. This is a nice project to have as a goal. I would assume an entry level AC 130A Arc Welder should be sufficient?

2. NEED for wind protection. Most of the iron/steel stands have minimal ability to block wind. I really need more than just some iron/steel to surround the flame (like on store bought burners). I do note that the guy with the wood single tier stand has 2X8s surrounding the flame. That's what I'd need. My question is, would sheet metal work for this or would they get too hot or would the cost be prohibitive?

I am a very apt woodworker. Putting together a nice wood frame is easily doable...........but I'm not sure I want finished wood next to Banjo Burners. I suppose if I did it, I would make a heat shield of aluminum-air gap-sheet rock attached to the inside of the wood facing the flame. The other issue with a wood frame is that I want to roll this stand from inside to outside via a walkout basement. Having a 30" wide wood stand takes up ALOT of room in my workshop. I'm not sure that's in my best interest. A 16" wide stand is much easier to move around and sits better in the shop.

So, here's the question. Should I learn to weld and get this done, or should I go wood with heat shields?

I'd stick with what you know. You would need a steel shelf for the kettles. You can get galvanized steel flashing (for roofing) in widths from 4-20", that works well for the heat shields.

The concrete board used for tile underlay would be much better than sheet rock. You probably wouldn't need any other heat shielding.

Well I spent yesterday working on single tier designs. I have 2 major concerns.

1. Welding. I wasn't going to weld one. But, after thinking about it, I'm probably going to learn how to weld. I've always wanted to do it. This is a nice project to have as a goal.

------

I am a very apt woodworker. Putting together a nice wood frame is easily doable...........but I'm not sure I want finished wood next to Banjo Burners.

-----

So, here's the question. Should I learn to weld and get this done, or should I go wood with heat shields?

I was in a similar boat when I built mine. I'm much more familiar with woodworking than metal, but I wanted to learn. I went out and bought a little mig welder, chopped up an old Soloflex for metal, and taught myself to weld. Just pick up a grinder when you're buying your welder, and everything will turn out just fine. :)

So if it's something you WANT to learn to do, I totally agree with you that this is a rewarding first project to learn on. Just be sure and do some load tests with non-boiling liquids first!

Welding is fun. YOu can get a cheap flux welder for a couple of hundred bucks, and they will do up a brew rig no problem. You might consider getting one that has the option to go gas later though, as a gas weldermakes much nicer welds.

Since i've bought my welder, I think of lots of things to make with it, or things to fix with it.

I made mine with an old 50 gallon metal aquarium stand. I just sanded off the paint and added BBQ grill paint and some cross over metal that is just screwed into it. It works perfect.
Just and FYI they also sell a two burner gas stove at Sports authority for under a 100 bucks.

Unistrut is extremely expensive. You'd probably come out ahead buying straight square stock and paying a welder.

Sample: Mcmaster.com

3310T47
Steel Single Strut Channel Unslotted, 1-5/8" X 13/16", Galvanized, 5' Length
In stock at $15.25 Each

33135T37
Strut Channel Connector Elbow, for 1-5/8" X 13/16" Channel
In stock at $33.31 Each

Back