What is your favorite DRY RUB??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What's your fav dry rub or rub recipe?? I'm working my way through a few popular ones at the moment:

image.jpg

I usually whip something up, i don't like to be repetitive, problem is sometimes it's good other times i knock it out of the park.
this is the way iv'e always have cooked and to some degree how i brew:D
The real reason i chimed in is i'm envious of the egg in the background, iv'e always wanted one but have had a problem with the price of admission.
You might look at the ingredients, look through the web and make your own, cheaper and no preservatives.
Smoke on:mug:

Same here. Usually start with a base of paprika, onion and garlic powder...then I start putting in whatever specialty ingredients depending on the mood I'm in and the meat.

These could include:

Sugar
Brown sugar
Cinnamon
Dry mustard
Dry Chinese mustard
Cloves
All spice
Oregono
basil
Coriander
Dill
....basically anything in my spice cabinet.

Same here. Usually start with a base of paprika, onion and garlic powder...then I start putting in whatever specialty ingredients depending on the mood I'm in and the meat.

These could include:

Sugar
Brown sugar
Cinnamon
Dry mustard
Dry Chinese mustard
Cloves
All spice
Oregono
basil
Coriander
Dill
....basically anything in my spice cabinet.

All rubs start with Kosher salt and any one of the above. Whenever smoking pork I always add ginger.
When rubbing beef I never use sugar. The only sugar based rub we use is on pork.

Yeah, it is quite meat specific.

On Salmon: salt, brown sugar, cumin = MAGIC.

On cow: I use Kroger generic Cajun seasoning. (Trust me)

Pig ?

Pig gets the most variety.

On ribs: Garlic powder, onion powder, jalapeno powder, paprika, salt, black pepper, brown sugar.
Loin: something different every time.
Chops: Usually lime, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder.

I don't make my own.

I like anything made by STUBB'S. I love the lime chili spice rub. They're kinda pricey and hard to find in my area, but I haven't been disappointed yet.

On Salmon I like Paul Prudhomme's Magic salmon Seasoning. I also use it on lake trout, but it's a little overpowering on mild fish. You can never go wrong with a little Old Bay either.

Depends on the meat. For the chicken I did last night it was:

light brown sugar
cayenne pepper
chilli powder
paprika
onion and garlic powder
kosher salt

Never measure anything, but a healthy amount of all of the above except the salt and it's good to go.

I use Famous Dave's rib rub for both ribs and pulled pork. Plowboys Yardbird gets regular use too. Goya Sazon works after injecting a butt with mojo for a cuban flavor. Chuckies get S&P, or montreal steak. I have even tried the packaged taco seasoning just to try... It was okay. I mainly do pulled beef tacos with chuckies. Briskets I mainly use S&P, and a little onion and garlic powder.

There's a great book out there by Paul Kirk.

He shows how to formulate rubs. Gives suggestions or guidelines on ratios and ingredients, and how to come up with a good one that's your own. It also covers BBQ and other sauces, mustards, and lots more.

Really a good book, not just a collection of recipes.

For a contest we make up our own. Our contest rub really amps up the favors because at a contest we only get a bite or two to catch the judges attention. At home I prefer Smoking Guns Hot.

I've been wanting to enter a contest for a while. I'm clueless about them though.

The dry rubs I've been going through have been fun.

Slap Yo' Daddy "hot" - a little too spicy on ribs and I like spicy. It's GREAT on chicken though - real nice zing and good flavor.

Simply Marvelous "cherry" and "sweet seduction" combo is really good on ribs! Also on pork butt. Really liking that combo rub!

I usually take a base seasoning and add brown sugar and anything else I might want.

I have used weber garlic and herb.

Buff stuff.

And mixed my own by dumping the spice cabinet on it. Turned out great, probably never be able to replicate it!

I picked up some of Asian Delight Rib Rub from Savory Spice when I went to Austin about a year and a half ago. I was apprehensive to put it on my ribs at first, but man did it taste good. We ended up doing ribs about every other week because of it.

It also works well in adding flavor to ground turkey i found.
They have an online shop, here's the link:

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/blends/asiand.html

I make my own version of Emeril's essence. It is tweaked though, great on ribs, chicken, steak. OK on shrimp, GREAT on blackened fish.

9 tablespoons paprika
6 tablespoons salt
8 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoon black pepper
2 tablespoon onion powder
6 tablespoons jalapeno powder
2 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoon dried thyme

I spice gring the salt, oregano, and thyme til it is all powder. It makes a BUNCH, it is nice to have around. Add sugar for ribs.

It's hard to beat Rendezvous rub for ribs, I usually sub some mustard seed for the powder but I'm not a big mustard guy…

Rendezvous Seasoning Rub Recipe

Ingredients

1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup pepper
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp celery seed
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp chile powder
1/2 tsp basil
1 Tbsp dry mustard.

Directions

Combine ingredients and set-aside.

Recipe courtesy Nick Vergos of Charlie Vergos Rendezvous restaurant, Memphis, Tenn.

On ribs: Garlic powder, Paprika, Cayenne pepper, black pepper and cajun seasoned salt (Tony Chachere's) with a bit of brown sugar.

This thread has made me hungry!

I usually have a couple of the jars of the premade stuff on hand for emergencies, in case I don't feel like or have time to mix up something on my own. But if I do mix my own up, I just start throwing sht together like I know what I'm doing. I usually take a look online for pointers on basic ingredients and just throw it together. It's really hard to mess up a well-cooked butt, especially if you've smoked it. And then a nice mop sauce is the icing on the cake.

I have a jar of Jack Daniels rub in the kitchen. It works fine.

On Diners driveins and dives, this place in NC put celery seed in EVERYTHING. Made me think.

Their food was obviously good, but CS is something I don't even own.

I normally mix my own...my go to for pork (both ribs and butt) is:

1 Tbs Paprika
1 Tbs Brown Sugar
1 ts Black Pepper
1 ts Garlic Powder
1 ts Onion Powder
1 ts Sea Salt (can use Kosher)
1/2 ts Chili Powder

This is easy enough to make and even when heavily coated, it will not over power the taste of the pork.

On Diners driveins and dives, this place in NC put celery seed in EVERYTHING. Made me think.

Their food was obviously good, but CS is something I don't even own.

It's typically a good addition to most rubs but must be used sparingly.

I use celery seed for my beef rubs, specifically when smoking brisket. I agree you don't want to go overboard with it and use too much.

Slap Yo Daddy original is a good overall rub. I like Memphis Dust on my pork butts/beef ribs. Dizzy Pig on pork ribs/chicken.

While not my "favorite", I do use many commercial rubs including,

big poppa smokers brand : money rub, double secret steak rub, jallelujah jalapeño maple bacon rub (this one is close to favorite as I have ), desert gold, and happy ending

Simply marvelous: I have the whole line up. Good stuff

Rudy's rub: really good on brisket. From the Texas based restaurant chain

Slap yo daddy: good all purpose rubs for chicken, beef and pork

Jacks Old south (Myron mixon's brand): these are tasty rubs not to be overlooked.

Smoking guns: I have a variety of these also.

I have a bunch of others too: Obie Q (double strength garlic is nice), plow boys (yardbird is really good on chicken), but haven't had chance to use all of them yet.

TD

If I use commercial, then it is Decoty BBQ spice. I actually use it more for grilling, but it is a really good rub for brisket.

BBQSeasoning_72.0KG1K.jpg

I use all types but my go to is Dillo Dust, Plowboys and bad byron's butt rub.

I make my own, my base is a secret and all my family asks, so I tell them my typical Cajun response: Me Cha I put a lil bit of dis and alil bit of dat.

Fish: base ingredients + Lemon Pepper Seasoning
Pork: Base ingredients + Sage + Bay Leaves + mustard powder
Venison and Beef: Base ingredients + chipotle chilli powder + cracked black peppercorn
Beef Brisquet: minus a few base ingredients + cracked Peppercorn + mustard powder + freshly chopped Rosemary

Latest posts

Back