Growing near the water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOMDBrewer

Reaction score
Planning on planting my year old bines this weekend near a river off the Chesapeake bay. Do you think the roots could grow too deep and tap into brackish water. They'll be planted about 6 feet above water level.

If you provide a nice rich bed a couple of feet deep and twice as broad, I don't think a hop plant will send roots down anywhere near six feet...

Cheers!

I don't know how deep they actually go but at about 3.5 feet down they were as thick as my wrist and didn't want to let go of the crown. No excavator, just a shovel, pry bar and many quarts of beer. I've seen quotes in different sources that said they'll travel as far as 10-12 feet and if they have deep soils (the kinds in grape growing regions) they may even go further. After 30+ years in different aspects of agriculture, I've haven't seen many plants (perennials) that can compare to what hops are capable of.

For the op, I don't fully understand hydrology and wouldn't want to guess what types of water the plant would actually find at different levels in the soil or how much of a buffering effect the soil in a region like that would provide. I have a feeling they would grow but not certain on how well. Stick one in and tell us about it!

I think they are high enough they'll be ok. If the stars aligned and a hurricane came up the Chesapeake Bay with a storm surge during a full moon. Then they might flood out. But that is like a 50 to 100 year occurrence. Last time that happened was 2003 and I'm pretty sure where I'm putting them was dry then.

Personally, I wouldn't be as worried about how deep the roots go but rather is there ever a chance of river flooding your hops? That usually does them in.

Dont forget, he needs some type of wind break...coastal winds can be brutal..without something blocking the wind your plants could easily get damaged.

Back