Danby DAR440 Door Panel is glued in place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy2009

Reaction score
I bought a Danby DAR 440bl that I converting into a kegerator. When I got it home and looked at it, the interior door panel is glued into place not screwed in like I read online from others who have converted this frig. I am interested in know if anyone has converted this frig with the panel glued in. I am concerned that if I cut out the panel (leaving behind the channel for the gasket) that it will weaken the door. I have no way to screw in a flat panel like others have done.

I unscrewed the panel and never replaced it, I just covered the insulation underneath with duct tape. If you have a dremel or something similar, you could just remove the platic in the way of your kegs. The door is structually fine without the panel.

I used a box cutter to cut the ridges out, leaving the groove for the seal intact. I bought some 100% waterproof silicone from lowes for like $8 and used that to waterproof the holes. Turned out looking not too bad, ill post a photo in a sec

Ps; remember to leave on the part of the panel that touches the light switch, otherwise duct tape is in your future

Here's the door

Edit: Sorry, have no idea why its sideways

photo-2.jpg

I used a box cutter to cut the ridges out, leaving the groove for the seal intact. I bought some 100% waterproof silicone from lowes for like $8 and used that to waterproof the holes. Turned out looking not too bad, ill post a photo in a sec

Ps; remember to leave on the part of the panel that touches the light switch, otherwise duct tape is in your future

So looking at your photo, the foam insulation holds everything together. I was looking at cutting away the door shelves the same way so it is good to see that it won't weaken the door which was a concern I had.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I am converting a Danby and for the clearance I need (for a 5-gallon bucket) I could probably get away with removing even less than that.

I bought a Danby DAR 440bl that I converting into a kegerator. When I got it home and looked at it, the interior door panel is glued into place not screwed in like I read online from others who have converted this frig. I am interested in know if anyone has converted this frig with the panel glued in. I am concerned that if I cut out the panel (leaving behind the channel for the gasket) that it will weaken the door. I have no way to screw in a flat panel like others have done.

Here's what I did with the same fridge......

IMG_0794.jpg
IMG_0795.jpg
IMG_0798.jpg

I can easily fit two kegs with this modification to the door. I recommend a dremel tool to cut if you can get one.

That's exactly all I need to do, less the bottom part (since the bucket will sit above the compressor. Thanks. The Dremel tool looks nice but I suspect I wouldn't get much use out of it beyond this project. Maybe I can borrow one.

I cut all the shelves off the door and left the little part that switches the light on.

I'm looking to get this Danby fridge to use as a ferm chamber to start, and then convert to kegerator later, but I wanted to know if it fits 5 gallon carboys and 6.5 gal buckets with blowoff tubes/airlocks. Will they fit on the bottom level, or supported on the shelf? Etc..

Any way someone is willing to post a photo, and/or take internal measurements?

Much appreciated!

I've put my 6.5 gallon carboy on the floor to cold crash and it fits fine. I have taken the interior door panel off so that probably helps.

Back