Krausen "like" rings around my carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmack

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a new brewer and new to the forum. I have a batch of ale, its been fermenting for 11 days. The initial fermentation was awesome vigorous! Now the krausen has gone, but I have these white rings around my carboy ribs. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the input.

They are yeast settling. Perfectly normal in a ribbed carboy and nothing to be worried about.

image-3671153016.jpg

kaconga said:
They are yeast settling. Perfectly normal in a ribbed carboy and nothing to be worried about.

Does this mean fermentation is still ongoing?

Kayos said:
Is it left over krausen? Pics would really help

Ok I've added a pic. It doesn't look like anything is really "wrong" I'm mostly wondering if fermentation is still going on?

Not based on the sediment, which appears to be yeast. However, the beer looks like it hasn't cleared particularly in that picture, so I'd wait before bottling. The best way to tell, of course, is to take some specific gravity readings.

Ok I've added a pic. It doesn't look like anything is really "wrong" I'm mostly wondering if fermentation is still going on?

I don't use a secondary/bright tank so I would leave it for another 2 weeks or so to let the yeast clean up some and take a 3 hydrometer reading over 3 days to be sure it is finished.

GASoline71 said:
If you bump the carboy, some of it will slide off of the ridges to the bottom. When I used Better Bottles I had sediment in the rings on every brew I did.

Gary

I bumped it and it did turn loose and begin falling. Brings a new question. If it were to be there during racking, will it turn loose and cloud my beer? If that's the case I'm not sure this is a good style of carboy.

It can... so when I've moved my Better Bottles to rack over to the bottling bucket. I move them as carefully as I can, and then let them set for a about an hour so everything will settle back down.

Gary

GASoline71 said:
It can... so when I've moved my Better Bottles to rack over to the bottling bucket. I move them as carefully as I can, and then let them set for a about an hour so everything will settle back down.

Gary

Thanks a ton! Is there a visual way to tell when fermentation is done? The general "rule", of all ive read is 2 weeks, but I'm sure there's give and take. What's your opinion?

Brewsmack, I use glass carboys of the type you pictured, I agree with the others who have said it looks to be yeast on it's way to the bottom. Sometimes I've had this occur and sometimes it hasn't. I let mine set for 3 weeks before I even take a gravity reading, thus far they've always settled by then or by the time I take them up to the kitchen to bottle. I wouldn't worry about yours, it'll be fine.

Rick

Thanks a ton! Is there a visual way to tell when fermentation is done? The general "rule", of all ive read is 2 weeks, but I'm sure there's give and take. What's your opinion?

Use your hydrometer to find out if fermentation is done. 2 or 3 readings over 3 days that are at your FG means you're done.

Gary

F250 said:
Brewsmack, I use glass carboys of the type you pictured, I agree with the others who have said it looks to be yeast on it's way to the bottom. Sometimes I've had this occur and sometimes it hasn't. I let mine set for 3 weeks before I even take a gravity reading, thus far they've always settled by then or by the time I take them up to the kitchen to bottle. I wouldn't worry about yours, it'll be fine.

Rick

Thanks a lot! This is my first post on this forum and the response has been great! 3 weeks?! Lol i stay anxious to taste this delicious, hoppy, infinitely variable possibility and delicious liquid and 3 weeks seems like an eternity!

Thanks a lot! This is my first post on this forum and the response has been great! 3 weeks?! Lol i stay anxious to taste this delicious, hoppy, infinitely variable possibility and delicious liquid and 3 weeks seems like an eternity!

And then it needs to bottle condition. 6 weeks is a good investment, 7 or 8 often even better. :tank:

Good luck with it.

Rick

GASoline71 said:
Use your hydrometer to find out if fermentation is done. 2 or 3 readings over 3 days that are at your FG means you're done.

Gary

Thanks again for the guidance. Homebrew is awesome. It's like going from eating from the microwave to cooking like a chef.

If you take readings it can be bottled as soon as it is at stable gravity. I usually never wait 3 weeks to bottle my beer. Once it has cleared and is at a stable gravity I bottle it.

Back