Georgia roll call

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Butchhe said:
Good to meet you. I work out on base. AF brought me here and my old boss got me started with brewing. I'm still a novice, but I'm a quick study. lol

I also work on base on the flight line what about you ?

In Statesboro as a student, in walton county (loganville) area when I'm home :tank: Always looking for cheap gear and grain if anyone ever needs to unload anything

You wish to share your cider recipe. I havent had good luck with them, and my wife loves commercial style cider.

Sure.

Mine is a 3 gallon batch.

Get 3 gallons of cheap cider/apple juice from your local grocery store. I use the Publix stuff that runs about $5 a gallon. It doesn't matter if it is from concentrate as long as the only additive is asorbic acid (Vitamin C).

For yeast I use Lalvin EC-1118

Sanitize a funnel and rehydrate the yeast. If you want to add a tablespoon of honey to the warm water in order to start the yeast, you can, but it isn't necessary.

Pour 1/4 of the first jug of juice into a 3 gallon carboy or small fermenting bucket. The icing buckets at Publix are 3.5 gallon buckets and have o-ring lids. They will give them to you if you ask in the bakery. You can get a rubber grommet for them at Home Depot. Drill the lid and you have a small primary fermenter.

Add 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar to the jug you just poured out of. Give it a big shake to mix in the sugar and aerate and then pour it into the primary.

Do the same thing with the second bottle, but hold a little back when dumping as you will need a bit to get the sugar through the funnel and into the jug on #3.

Repeat for jug 3.

Give the whole thing a good stir and pitch your yeast.

Let it ferment for 2 weeks at 70-75 degrees.

Rack to secondary to clarify. Top up with Welch's white grape juice concentrate juice. I usually make the juice a day ahead of time so that I can boil it and let it cool on the racking day, but you don't have to if you are careful about sanitation.

Let it sit for another 1-2 weeks until it is completely clear.

Once it is clear, boil 3 oz of corn sugar and 5 oz of malto-dextrose in 2 qts of water. Add that to your bottling bucket. Rack the cider to the bucket, stir carefully to mix in the sugars and bottle.

Let the bottle sit at room temperature for 1-2 weeks to condition. I like to fill at least one flip-top bottle to check carbonation. Once it is carbed to your satisfaction, stick the bottles in the fridge to cold-crash them and then enjoy.

The last batch I did was very much like Woodchuck cider.

Stone Mountain/Decatur area. Long time Covert Hops member. Doing a Russian Imperial Stout on Sunday.

I brew in Peachtree City and am lucky to have the best brew shop in the Atlanta area (that I've been to anyway) nearby in Fayetteville:

Never been to Brewmasters before.. Will need to stop in when I'm in the area.

I'm blessed to have Just Brew It, within 30 minutes of me. Wealth of knowledge and help there, and an extremely well stocked store. By far the freshest stuff I've ever found.

I work close to BrewMasters Warehouse but still order over the internet. It's so easy and cheap. $6.99 shipping isn't worth my time to stop by. It may be me being lazy but it's well worth it. I have always got my orders by next day too. It's crazy.

I am a broke college grad, so $6.99 means a lot to me!
I also like to 'ohhh' and 'ahhh' at all of the tools I don't have... yet.

Especially when I have only been stopping in there for yeast, stabilizers and nutrients.

Using up all of this lemon juice and honey making meads and skeeter pee has been much cheaper than beer!

Just moved to Woodstock! Been brewing for about a year. Any brewers around that area? Or clubs?

To benzy4010

There is a homebrew club called the Woodstock Malt Monkeys (I'm pretty sure that's their name) that brew once a month at Summits Wayside Tavern on Rose Drive in Woodstock. Just google the restaurant and you'll find information on it.

Peachtree City, drinking my first batch, second in primary. I've browsed in Just Brew It several times over the past 10 years or so, but finally found the time and money to get started. Hope to be up to AG within a year, but space is an issue.

Big city of Rockmart. I started brewing about 3 years ago. Being a full time math major/husband/father to my beautiful 17 month old daughter/working man, left me little time to brew. It was a New Years resolution to get back into brewing. Of course, SWMBO hasn't realized this yet.

Latest posts

Back