Airlocks For Free Fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtf3456

Reaction score
I picked up 3 pickle buckets from burger king today. I want to put airlocks on them. What size hole do I need to drill or what size drill bit do I use? I want to put the grommet too. Also, should my HBS have grommets? Or, could I make one with something from lowes, home depot, etc.

They sell grommets at Lowe's. In the hardware isle. Look in the "specialty drawers"..

Yes, they are 5 gallon buckets. With the lid that has the black rubber seal in it. I will just do 4 gallon batches in them. I will definitely get some more. They had 3 from just today. That puts me at 5 fermentors. I really don't need Anymore at the moment, but I mean sh*t , they are free and burger king just throws them away. Why not stock up on them.

Can you get the pickle smell out of them or are you brewing an IPA (India Pickle Ale)?

Yeh I had already figured that and read that before. But they were free so no harm no foul. If I can most of it out I'll use them and if not, they will make real nice seats and many other things im sure

You want a half inch hole. I've put those grommets in lots of lids for various containers.

You can get the grommets at hardware stores in the specialty section, but I find them cheaper at my LHBS.

Put 4 ozs of bleach in the bucket and fill with cold water and leave for a week and see what happens.

Jim Karr said:
Yep, you need to do just what Burger King does with those buckets....throw them away. That pickle smell and taste will never go away. :(

I've used a pickle bucket as a bottling bucket. Just soak it in bleach water and air dry completely. I haven't noticed a smell or taste.

Go get free buckets from bakeries! They're also free, and they were used for sugar based products. Try Krispy Kreme if you have one around you..

FWIW, I also have about ten five gallon pickle buckets with the yellow lid and black seal inside that I got from a restaurant in town; I also have a bunch of two gallon food grade buckets that once held sauerkraut; I have bleached, soaked and rinsed all of these and I have yet to make a beer that tastes like pickles or Ruben sandwiches:)
Also, your LHBS or Lowes should have the rubber grommets...I drilled a 3/8 inch hole, fitted the grommets and they fit either a bubbler or s-shaped airlock just fine.
Happy brewing!

The bakeries near me said they used to give them away but now they have to recycle them and they won't sell or give them away

Anyone found free buckets that are larger than 5 gallons, say 6 or 6.5 gallons?

Nope, and I've tried quite a few times. I did find 5 gal and 3 gal so what I do sometimes is make a 6 gal batch and split it up. 4 gal. wort in a 5 gal. bucket and 2 gal. wort in a 3 gal. bucket...

Lowe's now has white BPA free, food grade, 5 gallon plastic buckets. I think they are $4, lid sold separately. I drilled a hole in one, attached a spigot and use it for sanitizing. Not a bad deal.

Back