First hombrew- label for an Irish red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestswmbo

Reaction score
Hey all,

My husband and I brewed our first batch two weeks ago. We're about to rack it to the carboy. While avoiding some work, I whipped this up. The ale will be named after our JRT, Seamus. I also added the ingredients. I figured we could easy slap one of these on a piece of paper, take notes, and add it to a binder I'll start- one for every homebrew we make. The OG is our reading but the FG and ABV are going to change- those are the estimates from Brewmasters and our OG was ~0.05 different than the estimate.

These are my first labels- would be for labels 1.33” H x 4” W – they are an Avery standard size and come 14 to a page. I was thinking smaller would be less annoying to remove from the bottles and less expensive.

Do people here use Avery? Any advice on best way to label efficiently (not looking to take off a giant label every time, but I might be persuaded).

What do you think? Suggestions and comments welcome.

Seamus's Irish Red.jpg

Real eye catcher... if I seen this on a shelf at the store I would pick one up myself.

I am just getting started and would like to no if you could share how to go about to make some labels for myself.

Do people here use Avery? Any advice on best way to label efficiently (not looking to take off a giant label every time, but I might be persuaded).

What do you think? Suggestions and comments welcome.

my labels are all around 3x4 or close to it. i use full sheets of avery labels since it works better on my printer, going edge to edge. i then cut them out with a paper cutter instead of using the pre-sized ones.

if you soak your bottles in oxyclean (there is a thread about this) the avery labels will lift off easily so you don't have to worry about removing them.

I am just getting started and would like to no if you could share how to go about to make some labels for myself.

what experience if any do you have with graphics programs?

while making a label like the one above is an easy way to get your feet wet...i stand by what i said in other threads...the best way to learn how to use your program and get used to making more commercial labels, is to take one and recreate it. for example, this one:
MGD.jpg

if you can recreate this simple design, you will learn the basics of gimp or PS well. i wouldn't go so far as to recreate the eagle and leaves, but the general shape, shading, blending, etc is all a good learning experience.

what experience if any do you have with graphics programs?

while making a label like the one above is an easy way to get your feet wet...i stand by what i said in other threads...the best way to learn how to use your program and get used to making more commercial labels, is to take one and recreate it. for example, this one:
MGD.jpg

if you can recreate this simple design, you will learn the basics of gimp or PS well. i wouldn't go so far as to recreate the eagle and leaves, but the general shape, shading, blending, etc is all a good learning experience.

I agree- I did lots of cloning when I was learning photoshop (CS4 and CS5). Another option, but not as powerful, is Adobe Elements. I would recommend Elements to a beginner, but then recommend graduating to Photoshop. You can learn Photoshop through online tutorials or how-to books like "Adobe Photoshop CS4" published by Adobe. I took a few graphic design classes in college and taught myself through different books- just read the Amazon ratings.

Other labels I make that don't have a picture of my dog might have more glitzy elements to them- but I wanted to make Seamus the star, and for now, save some ink. Might even invert this one to be on a white background to save ink but I'm not sure- I like the black.

my labels are all around 3x4 or close to it. i use full sheets of avery labels since it works better on my printer, going edge to edge. i then cut them out with a paper cutter instead of using the pre-sized ones.

if you soak your bottles in oxyclean (there is a thread about this) the avery labels will lift off easily so you don't have to worry about removing them.

Great idea! I think I'll do this. I HATE to get the labels in the printer correctly, and I have a giant paper cutter. THanks!

If you want to recreate the MGD logo, I suggest using Illustrator.

Although, about 99% of the labels on this website could be created with Photoshop Elements.

I print my labels at 3.25" x 3.25", so that I can fit 6 on a page. I print them on standard paper using a color laser printer, then adhere them to the bottle using "glue stick" or using milk in a pinch. (do a search on milk labels if you need more info)

The labels adhere nicely, but come off with a few seconds under warm water. I would never use "Avery" adhesive labels. They are too much of a pain in the *** to remove compared to glue stick or milk.

If you want to recreate the MGD logo, I suggest using Illustrator.

Although, about 99% of the labels on this website could be created with Photoshop Elements.

the only issue with illustrator (obviously a better choice) is that i personally think the learning curve is larger. vector images are more difficult to deal with for newbies.

i create the general layouts i need in illustrator and finish the effects in PS.

I agree- I did lots of cloning when I was learning photoshop (CS4 and CS5). Another option, but not as powerful, is Adobe Elements. I would recommend Elements to a beginner, but then recommend graduating to Photoshop. You can learn Photoshop through online tutorials or how-to books like "Adobe Photoshop CS4" published by Adobe. I took a few graphic design classes in college and taught myself through different books- just read the Amazon ratings.

Other labels I make that don't have a picture of my dog might have more glitzy elements to them- but I wanted to make Seamus the star, and for now, save some ink. Might even invert this one to be on a white background to save ink but I'm not sure- I like the black.

i would keep the black. i think its more impactful.

i didn't mean to criticize per se...simple or ornate..the important thing is that it looks good and you are happy with the result. i'm been debating putting my pug on a label, but i haven't made a brew yet worthy of his cute little puggy face.

i would keep the black. i think its more impactful.

i didn't mean to criticize per se...simple or ornate..the important thing is that it looks good and you are happy with the result. i'm been debating putting my pug on a label, but i haven't made a brew yet worthy of his cute little puggy face.

Ah! You have to figure out what you should brew that will be worthy of his cute puggy face!
:D

Nice logo, but I see a typo as an FYI. At 1.030 OG and 1.014 FG your ABV is closer to 2.1% than 4.72%

FYI I print mine on a Deskjet printer and glue stick them on. Sweating is an issue so I am tying to work around this currently with clear coat paints.

Back