New Logo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Working on a permanent logo so that I can get put it on Cafepress items. Let me know what you think. I know the GIF image looks crappy, but I have it available in other formats as well.

It's not too different from my previous one which is my avatar.

NewFT.gif

I like several of the elements.
The arched lettering across the top seems a little asymetrical.
I like the majesty of the tree in your avatar, but I can see why you looked for other options as it appears that it lacked detail.
I'm interested to know the story of why you chose this as your name.

I agree on the text. I used a program called Printmaster, and was unable to get the text to wrap normally. Need to play around with that a bit more.

The name stems from the fact that earlier on in my life a good portion of my dad's family (himself, uncle's and his dad) all were involved in the logging industry. Trees kept food on the table, therefore I figured I'd pay homage to something like that.

Found out how to change the text wrap. If I could find/create the right graphic I think it'd be cool to replace the wood panel look center circle with the end of a log (showing tree growth rings).

For anybody who reads this.... What changes would it take for you to buy it on a mug/T-shirt? I don't expect you to actually do this, but want to make it attractive enough that it would at least be a potential collectable/gift.

fall1.jpg

Conceptually
I like the tree ring element.
I think that you need some that visually says beer. That's missing for a brewery label.

Execution:
You have a mix of flat (lettering), photo-realistic (tree) , and realistic (wood) elements that don't have the same look and feel. I suck at that kind of thing as well and that's why I comissioned billpa.

As for purchase:
I buy what I buy for the personal elements (cause I knew those guys) or a top-to-bottom well thought out design (aedkbbop). I also like knights of gambrinus' labels (woodcut).

You need a beer themed into this.

That's my unvarnished opinion.

Overall, I like it! The growth rings are an absolute necessity, IMHO.

Here's something you can use if you like. I created it with a couple of simple Google image searches and the Gimp.

4688-mcklogo.jpg

Gotcha. Not for sure how to incorporate beer directly into this label as it's overall for the brewery and I intend on attaching a rectangular sub-label below for each individual style of brew. Maybe a bottle in place of the tree or am I totally off base? Or should I change the name back to Falling Timber Brewing Co?

I understand about the variances in design elements. Perhaps I'll talk to Billpa and see what he can do.

Damn Yuri, that popped up while i was typing. You totally captured what I was originally going for. Thanks!!

Maybe I'll just have to download and learn GIMP as it looks like it is way more versatile than what I am using.

McKBrew said:

This is a vast improvement. I like how you've cleaned it up. It's much crisper: the Evergreen Tree looks much better, the TExt along the top is better aligned to the border of the saw blade, the axe and saw are a nice touch, too. I think the growth rings would look sweet!

just my .02$.

Would laying the center design(axe, tree) over the growth rings do it, or would it still be lacking somewhere?

I'm not so sure that you even need the axe, saw, and tree. Maybe a clean font with some shadow effects overlaying the growth rings is all you need. Clean and simple tend to work best.

The axe, saw, and tree are a bit cluttery. I'm also considering replacing that section with a lumberjack.

I love the name and theme,being in the industry,but the axe and misery whip look way better than "Paul Bunyan"in my opinion.BTW,welcome back to the NW.
Cheers:mug:

I'm undecided on which way to go as well. Either the logger or the equipent/trees. Need to just make up my mind and commit to something.

C'mon man,lose the logger,keep the growth rings,and go back to the saw,axe,and tree!You know you want to......
Cheers:mug:

Earth first..........we'll log the other planets later!

Yuri_Rage said:
The logger is kinda gay.

Thanks for the gentle criticism, you just used kinda instead of saying something like strait out of the closet, butt-pirate gay.

Seriously though, thanks for the input, and the tuturiol, I'm getting closer to a final product.

The "idea" of the logger is cool but he is holding that queer little axe and it makes him look super homorific gay, sorry i liked the one with the axe and saw.

Cheers

McKBrew said:
Working on a permanent logo so that I can get put it on Cafepress items. Let me know what you think. I know the GIF image looks crappy, but I have it available in other formats as well.

It's not too different from my previous one which is my avatar.

NewFT.gif

I Like this the best!!! Saws and Axe w/ the Tree

Pretty Cool In My Book!!!

Balance out the text so it symetrical : Est 2006

I think I am going to go with this for now. Maybe someday when I have money to spend, I'll have someone with some real talent touch it up a bit.

fallingtimberfinal.jpg

I think you have a fantastic idea. I would agree that you need to incorporate something beer into the logo. Maybe hops and barley? A wooden cask? You are on the verge of a kick ass logo! I'm jealous because I can't even come up with a name for my brewery!

Right now I just want something to put on my beer fridge. I thought about replacing the tree in the center with a mug of beer, but couldn't find a good clipart image. That is about the limit of my talent, cutting and pasting. My six year old is a better artist than I am.

I'd love to have Billpa, or someone with similar talent design my logo.

I can justify alot of purchases, but right now telling the SWMBO that I want to spend money on a homebrewery logo is probably not going to fly.

Maybe you could try an image of a Lumberjack standing next to the fallen evergreen or chopping it down. Just some ideas.

I love it. I can't think of any beer labels that incorporate something that says beer in the design, but I can think of a ton that did just what you did - incorporate the elements where your brewing name comes from. You called it "Falling Timber" and you nailed it with your design. If you called your beer Steamboat, I'd expect a picture of a steamboat. Conversely, if you called it Donald Duck, I wouldn't expect to see hops, barley, or a duck drinking or swimming beer.

I love it. Rad.

i agree, no need to have beer on the logo. Looks good. I'm going through same struggle now, Just came up with a name now gotta start on, logos. Good idea doing a Brewery logo instead of beer specific one first.

In some respects I like it the way it is. The only big issue I have is with the saw, I can't find a clipart version that looks like one of these (rounded vice flat on the saw).

Here's a couple 'shopped versions of that saw. (I tried to turn it into clip art.) You can probably do better yourself if you have Photoshop; just play around with that image using various filters.

saw1.jpg

saw2.jpg

I like the new saw. Thanks for your help Steve. Although I didn't use it, I appreciate you taking time to help me out as well Oakwolf.

I need to do something similar with the axe and then center them up, and I'll have a nice logo.

ftgc.jpg

No problem man, I am just glad that you were able to use one of our images. I had to laugh when I saw the other two, my first thought was, "Hey he took my images!" Then I realized they were a little different. Not enough coffee yet this morning. :D

I like the new saw in the logo, makes it look a little more sharp. If you need some help on the axe, let me know!

AFAJ Brew Guy said:
I like the new saw in the logo, makes it look a little more sharp. If you need some help on the axe, let me know!

If you don't mind helping on the axe, I'd appreciate it. I'd like an axe where the blade looks similar to the saw, and the handle looks a bit more realistic (wood grain).

I'm thinking of an adequate way to compensate you, I'll let you know what I come up with and you can determine if it's fair or not.

Hey man, whatever is cool! I do take bribes :) Anyway, can you by any chance send me the axe that you used. I would like to play with that one as well and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

AFAJ: Pretty funny how identical our saws turned out. The saw looks good. If you need help with the axe, let me know, but I'm pretty sure you don't. :D

AFAJ: Pretty funny how identical our saws turned out. The saw looks good. If you need help with the axe, let me know, but I'm pretty sure you don't. :D

Will do man. Yeah I had to laugh at that. I actually had to look at them twice! Thanks for the offer, I will let you know. :D

Back