American IPA All Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For dry hopping in the keg, I've been using a muslin bag and a couple of neodymium magnets. Toss the hops in the bag and tie it loosely with one magnet in the knot, then sandwich the keg lid between the two magnets. If you're not too rough with the keg your hop bag will hang from the lid. About 1/4 of the way through the keg you're no longer dry hopping. YMMV...

That's a great idea.

Brewed an all grain version of this recipe last weekend, hit the OG right on, and after 1 week in the primary, its down to 1.012, and I swear I could drink the whole thing out of the primary right now its so good.

Just kegged mine tonight. 5.5% ABV, dry hopped with Warrior for 10 days (of 21 in the primary). VERY tasty and oh so fruity/floral. My wife even likes it, and she's normally a cider and fruit beer drinker.

:tank:

This recipe is fantastic. Although I did tweak it a little bit. here's my version:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 57.14 %
4.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 38.10 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 33.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Definitely recommend making this. It was my first IPA. I've gotten many very positive comments on it from friends and family. I will definitely be making it again soon.

and here are some pics after being in the bottle for about 4 months:

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

I agree that of the 25ish batches I have made so far, this has been my favorite.

Can't believe you have gone 4 months and still have some left.

How does the Pilsner affect it?

Sent from my Android, please excuse my grammar.

Yeah, I'm not a super big IPA guy, but I do enjoy one from time to time, so the batch is lasting me a while. I actually made the batch in exchange for a nice Patagonia jacket for my wife, but ended up keeping half the batch. :)

Not sure if the pilsner didn't have any affect or if I just can't detect it. Probably the latter. It was the first time I've used pilsner LME before. I will definitely make this recipe again tho and probably do the AG version. AG is just more fun.

Great beer. I brewed this over a year ago, and my GF's father sent me a card (after I had sent him home with samples a few months prior) remarking on it's quality. I did increase the hop quantities (by no more than 1oz), but the base and simplicity of this beer is phenomenal.

I have a coworker coming over to learn how to brew, and this is going to be his starter beer. Great return, and so, so, tasty. It could just be me being partial to Amarillo, but it's not.

Going to do another AG batch of this next weekend, but am going to substitute Pilsner for 2-row, because I have 100+ lbs of pilsner hanging around and need to use it. May up the 40L a bit, but I will make that decision on brew day. Anyway with my previous batches of this brew, even my non-IPA visitors like it. And, with all the Amarillo, my garage always smells great!

Just tasted my sample when I went to keg it (4 weeks primary). Best sample I've ever had. Can't wait for it to carb and give it a go.

This is an easy drinking brew - I actually am sitting on 2 kegs of the stuff (one is on the tap). I think that would make it my 5 or 6th AG batch.

Has anyone tried this with Simcoe hops? I want to compare Amarillo to another hop? I am trying to do this same recipe exactly with another style of hops....any suggestions?

I love Simcoe but it can be a little more "potent" than Amarillo - you might want to tone down the amount of the additions a bit....or just do a straight substitution to really show off the difference b/n the two

my "house" ipa grainbill is very similar to this. 2 row, 8 oz. c-50/60, and 4 oz melanoidin, SG 1.060. i did the last batch with amarillo and nelson sauvin hops and it came out AMAZING.

Has anyone tried this with Simcoe hops? I want to compare Amarillo to another hop? I am trying to do this same recipe exactly with another style of hops....any suggestions?

cascade, nelson sauvin, sorachi ace, centennial. using the same malt base with different hops is a great way to learn which hops you like best.

Great Thread Guys, I learned so much from you all. Gonna brew an IPA tomorrow. Thanks again, Happy to be a part of this forum!

OH MY GOD! !! I just pored my first glass of this and man it is f***king good. Still a little young but awesome. It's supposed to be for super bowl. I hope it's going to last. Lol. Thought I racked it cleanly but guess not cause I have little bits of particals in my glass. Any suggestions on how to improve on this? Anyways go and brew this it's great. It'll always be on tap in my rator! Here's my recipe on this :

9.25 lbs light lme
.5 lbs crystal 40

1.5 oz. Amarillo. 60 min
1oz Amarillo. 30 min
1 oz Amarillo. 5 min
.5 oz Amarillo. Flame out (10 min)
2 oz Amarillo. Dry hop 7 days

Wyeast 1056

Primary fermentor 3 weeks and dry hopped last 7 days of fermentation.
Og. 1.057
Og. 1.014
ABC 5.7%

This turned out a little dry but maybe with 2 more weeks in keg that will get better. If not I'll probably bump up to 10 lbs light lme. Thanks a million for the recipe. It's great.

Going to be brewing this beer in the coming weeks.

I think I am going to go with Wyeast 1272, as I have some washed yeast for this.

Cant wait!

Brewed a version of this back at the start of January. Had to use Cascade as Amarillo is out at my LHBS and is not expected back until Fall of 2012 or later. So used Cascade. Kegged it after about 2.5 weeks and pulled a pint on Saturday. I'd say this was the best beer I've brewed to date. Followed the OP's recipe to get a base. 4oz of hops was good for overall flavor and bitterness. Only change I'll do next time is dry hopping for a bit more aroma. Other than that....solid brew and highly recommended! I know this will stay in my pipeline. I'll add a picture when I get home because it's a beautiful almost red and super clear. I wish I had a pint right now actually :mug:

timmy7649 said:
OH MY GOD! !! I just pored my first glass of this and man it is f***king good. Still a little young but awesome. It's supposed to be for super bowl. I hope it's going to last. Lol. Thought I racked it cleanly but guess not cause I have little bits of particals in my glass. Any suggestions on how to improve on this? Anyways go and brew this it's great. It'll always be on tap in my rator! Here's my recipe on this :

9.25 lbs light lme
.5 lbs crystal 40

1.5 oz. Amarillo. 60 min
1oz Amarillo. 30 min
1 oz Amarillo. 5 min
.5 oz Amarillo. Flame out (10 min)
2 oz Amarillo. Dry hop 7 days

Wyeast 1056

Primary fermentor 3 weeks and dry hopped last 7 days of fermentation.
Og. 1.057
Og. 1.014
ABC 5.7%

This turned out a little dry but maybe with 2 more weeks in keg that will get better. If not I'll probably bump up to 10 lbs light lme. Thanks a million for the recipe. It's great.

Here's a pic. Man it's good! Gotta try to save the rest of keg for super bowl. It's gonna be hard. Lol

ForumRunner_20120130_201635.jpg

so here we go, back from the dead on this thread. I am brewing a 2.5 gallon batch of this as I type. I adapted it to a smaller boil and I am going to be continously hopping for half the boil. Why a 2.5 gallon batch? Weeellllllll, my wife and I are going to be moving in the near future and she gave me a valentines day present in the form of money to brew one last 5 gallon batch of beer. (which I am going to use on Yoopers dogfish head 60 min clone) so now I am doing 2.5 gallons so I am not using up my 5 gallon privlidge and I am also currently p 90 xing it so I can t really consume too much beer that really sucks. I couldn't believe I found Amarillo hops at my LBHS because they never seem to have any or at least not for the last 2 years.

My recipe is as follows:

3 lbs 6oz's of light DME
.25lbs Briess caramel 60

.5 oz's Amarillo 10.3 % @ 30mins

Continous hop 1.5 oz of Amarillo 10.3% from 15mins until 0

I am using a jar of washed S-04 yeast

We shall see how this comes out, I am estimating an original gravity of 1.061 and IBU's @ 56.89

So I finished this one up last night and the smell was awesome. The Amarillo really shines in this. When I racked to he primary I guess I lost more during the oil then what I planned and had an og of 1.072. I topped off to 2.5 gallons and my og dropped to 1.051. This was after splashing and aerating the wort so everything was mixed up well. I recalculated the recipe and came up with 61 ibu,s. Which is still within ipa style guidelines but the og is a little off, probably will be more of a hoppy east coast pale ale. I will dry hop with an ounce in the primary after fermentation is done. It's been about 12 hrs since pitching th yeast and I am jus seeing the first signs of air lock activity. I will post an update in the next week or too.

apologies in advance if this was already discussed, long thread and i read a lot but didn;t see an all grain conversion, does anyone have it readily available?
tia.

It's in here. I believe around page 13 or 14 then start going forward

I just brewed this for the 3rd time (all grain) 2 weeks ago. Just dryhopped and took a gravity reading and a taste (yes I know it's 10 am :drunk:) and I just love this stuff. It's a perfect IPA IMHO.

I have brewed my own version of this a few times and loved it. I am a big fan of Amarillo hops but they are becoming near impossible to find. If anyone has an over stock of them and wants to sell some or knows of where I could get a couple pounds of them, drop me a note.

Bottled my first brew of this at the end of September. I noted back in mid October that it was a bit earth/harsh for my tastes and kind of forgot about it until recently.

Have tried a few bottles in the last few weeks and it has really aged well (imho). One thing that is apparent to me is that there is a bit of a sour note to start before the hops bitterness comes in. One change that I did make, however, was adding Sterling as a bittering hop due to the low AA of the Amarillo when I brewed.

Just wondering if anyone who has brewed this and has let it age (5 months or so) is tasting any sour notes or if it has anything to do with the Sterling.

Just kegged my all grain version of this last weekend and I love it!

6.5 gal pre-boil, 5 gal fermentation
White labs Cal Ale (3 days on stir plate)
60 min mash @ 152 F, 10 min single batch sparge @ 170 F

11 lbs 2-row
1 lb Crystal 40

1 oz amarillo FWH
1 oz amarillo 60 min
1 oz amarillo 30 min
1.5 oz amarillo 10 min
0.5 oz amarillo dry hop from day 7 to 17 in primary fermenter

It's really an excellent example of a hoppy, bitter, resiny west coast IPA. My friends love it too. :mug:

Hello everybody,

I would like to try this recipe soon. Some advice need it.
When I insert to the Beersmith I could not reach the IBU and OG with the amount that appears in the original recipe.
What should I do? Change the amounts to reach the real parameters o leave like it is? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong in beersmith?
I wanted to try a partial mash with Marris Oter , thinking to reduce the DME but the recipie call me for 3 Kg of DME + 1,5 Kg Marris Otter, this is 6,6 lb of DME + 3,3 lb of Grain.
The same for the IBUS.

Could someone help me.
Thank you very much.
P.D This is my first post here, but I’ve been reading you guys long ago. Also sorry for my English, not very good, I hope you understand me.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12,94 l
Post Boil Volume: 12,11 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23,00 l
Bottling Volume: 20,00 l
Estimated OG: 1,067 SG
Estimated Color: 24,5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 46,3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75,00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0,0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1,50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5,9 EBC) Grain 1 30,6 %
0,40 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157,6 EBC) Grain 2 8,2 %
1,00 kg Light Dry Extract (15,8 EBC) Dry Extract 3 20,4 %
40,00 g Amarillo Gold [8,50 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 4 30,4 IBUs
30,00 g Amarillo Gold [8,50 %] - Boil 15,0 min Hop 5 11,3 IBUs
30,00 g Amarillo Gold [8,50 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 6 4,5 IBUs
15,00 g Amarillo Gold [8,50 %] - Boil 0,0 min Hop 7 0,0 IBUs
1,0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -
2,00 kg Light Dry Extract (15,8 EBC) Dry Extract 9 40,8 %
20,00 g Amarillo Gold [8,50 %] - Dry Hop 0,0 Day Hop 10 0,0 IBUs

I have had a pound of amarillo in the freezer for a year for some amarillo/simcoe black ipa that I haven't brewed since then. I really need to crank out 5 gallons of this to see what all the fuss is about. I'm guessing I won't be disappointed.

I just need to wait until I brew the porter this weekend. Then, I can come back to this one.

Just finished off my first keg of this last week. Brewing another batch today with leaf hops instead of pellets. I'll be interested to taste the difference (first time using leaf hops). I stuck pretty close to the recipe. Only changes were the amount of water I steeped the grains in (closer to 3 gallons instead of 1.5) and the fermentation time and temp. I did a three week primary fermentation at 68 degrees and no secondary. Not sure how much that may have changed the profile (if at all), but I've been using this method recently for pretty much all my beers and it seems to work well across the board.

I haven't brewed a ton of beers, but I have to say this is probably the best I've done so far. It's also the only recipe I've duplicated. I usually like to mix it up and try new ones every time, but I was so sad when I tapped this keg that I just had to make more. When (not if) I make it a third time I may think about dry hopping just to add a bit more hop character.

Same here. I'm on batch 4 varying tis recipe with hop additions and amount. I just did a one ounce dry hop. It is my first time dry hopping. I just kegged it and so far it is the best batch so far. The sample before I locked it up to carb was phenomenal. I'll be dry hopping this from now on. It is staying in my regular rotation also

I'm waiting to dry this one now. It's been 9 days in the primary, and it fermented at 61-62 degrees. I turned it up to 63-64 on day 6. I'm playing with fermenting colder, and I figured I would give this one a shot. I subbed the bittering addition with simcoe, but I calculated it to the same IBU value. Should be the same. With the cost of amarillo, I figured it wouldn't hurt to sub out the early addition hops.

I'll toying with a 7-10 day 2 ounce dry hop. I think I'll wind up with an 8-9 day drop hop just due to my schedule. I'm also going to dry hop in the primary. I'll post back when I finally taste this one.

Well, I went with a 7 day dry hop with 2 oz of amarillo. This has a very in your face grapefruit taste at the time of bottling. I think it's gonna be very good. It tastes pretty good even completely flat.

Edit: I opened one up after 2 days of carbonation. I couldn't wait. It is very strong like grapefruit, but it is also very bitter. Beersmith has mine at 57.3 IBU. So, it is probably about what it should be. It's a very good beer. I think I may be getting tired of very bitter beers. I think next time I will lighten up the early additions and move them to the back end or leave them out. I'll likely do something in between an APA and IPA...maybe around 35-40 IBU. Still one of the better IPA's I've had in a while.

I brewed this a year ago and have probably 36 bottles left. I didn't really enjoy it t first bu a year later the beer is perfectly clear and it tastes 200% Better then a year ago. I had three different people sample it tonight and everyone said the same thing, tastes like pure grapefruit juice. This was the first Amarillo beer I ever made and I guess I dint realize how much of. Grapefruit flavor Amarillo has. I definitely prefer cascade and Simcoe though.

I brewed this a year ago and have probably 36 bottles left. I didn't really enjoy it t first bu a year later the beer is perfectly clear and it tastes 200% Better then a year ago. I had three different people sample it tonight and everyone said the same thing, tastes like pure grapefruit juice. This was the first Amarillo beer I ever made and I guess I dint realize how much of. Grapefruit flavor Amarillo has. I definitely prefer cascade and Simcoe though.

A year old IPA? Sounds like you don't like IPA's much if you like them aged a year.

I love ipa s, pretty much all I drink, this one was straight grape fruit, tasted like fruit juice. I was expecting more of a cascade/chinook piney,resiny sensation. This one is really good, I just needed to figure out what I was tasting. Really my first experience with all Amarillo.

Back