Leaking pin lock keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstrawn

Reaction score
I purchased a keg a few weeks back that was reconditioned recertified/ whatever they do and assumed it would be effective. When I attach the liquid out disconnect there is a pretty appreciable leak that can be minimized to almost eliminated with good placement of the disconnect but it invariably leaks. I hooked up the disconnect from another line to be sure it was the keg and not the easily replaced disconnect. I'm not familiar with the components of a corny liquid post and was hoping someone is familiar with this problem. What do I need to do to fix is?

Where is the gas coming out of? Is it coming out from where the poppet is or from under the post?

Where is the gas coming out of? Is it coming out from where the poppet is or from under the post?

Nevermind, scratch that. It sounds like it might be the disconnect. I had a leaky disconnect, and all I had to do was tighten part of it with a screwdriver.

LVBen said:
Nevermind, scratch that. It sounds like it might be the disconnect. I had a leaky disconnect, and all I had to do was tighten part of it with a screwdriver.

I'm confused. I have beers leaking not gas. It's coming from the valve. The reason I don't think it is the disconnect is because I tried both of the beer lines on the keg when I was pumping star San and both leaked. I just don't even know where to begin

Unscrew the actual pin lock connector (I know, It's a pain) check the gas in tube as well as the pick up tube for deformities or cracks. I was losing pressure from my keg and couldn't figure it out, turns out the gas in tube was split at the seam and leaking, Same thing could happen with the dip tube and cause some liquid leak I bet.

Leaking kegs are just part of the business as a home brewer. They definitely can be frustrating but are well worth taking the time to figure out. When tackling any of my kegs leaking issues I will first disassemble and clean the keg, and then be sure to use ample keg lube when putting the poppets, dip tubes, and posts back together.

In order to save on usage of CO2 I usually fill the keg most of the way with water, put the lid on, and then hit the keg with 30 psi. Not only does this help seat the gaskets nicely, but it also makes it super easy to find leaks. After I hit the keg with 30 psi, I remove the gas line and spray super soapy water all over the main lid seal, base of the posts, and on top of the posts where the poppets seal. Make sure the water is very, very soapy to ensure that when sprayed it comes out almost as pure suds.

If you keg has any leaks at all without the hoses connected you will easily see the bubbles forming in the spot where the leak is. From there its a matter of either applying more keg lube, or trying to replace a seal, repeating the process above and seeing if it fixes the problem.

If everything is ok with the keg on its own, turn on the CO2 pressure and dunk the disconnect in water to ensure all your fitting are air tight. Bubbles will be obvious under water if it is your disconnect. Last and final step is to hook up the disconnect and again cover the entire disconnect and base of the post with soapy water. If the leak is there you will see it, and if it is indeed the connection, you can attempt to fix. Sometimes an ample amount of keg lube all over the post will help, though in some rare cases I have had to replace the entire post due to some dents, dings, and chips which were not allowing the disconnect to seal properly.

I guess the key is to attack the process systematically, break down each source of the leak one at a time, and once you find the real source you can deal with fix. If you haven't figured it out from above, keg lube works wonders in terms of making proper seals. It always pays to use lube liberally :ban:

I am having the same problem with one of my pin lock kegs. It only leaks when the liquid out disconnect is attached. I have replaced the o-rings and also tried 3 disconnects that work on other kegs. I think I'm going to either replace the post or converting it to a ball lock while I'm at it. I even tried the keg lube but it still want to leak.

Old thread be old but I don't want to start a new one for such a common problem.

New to kegging but I hooked up my used, pin lock, keg the other day. Held air fine until I pulled the tap off. Gas was audibly leaking out from the gas post and the little center, pin thing, when pressed would cause it to come out quicker. I am assuming this is just a bad poppet/spring?

It's either a bad poppet or an improperly seated one. I had one that didn't close all the time. Took the post off and saw that it wasn't seated straight.

Well it holds pressure, even know I can go push on it by hand and it will purge a good bit. I am taking it apart today and testing. I have a new one anyways.

Back