Need Help with Gas Blender

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrH

Reaction score
Hi guys-

Anyone out there know how to set up an old-style Perlick Gas Blender? I scored a brand new one for free, but it didn't come with any instructions. This one is model 664B and has adjustable inlets for Co2 and Nitrogen. So far my Google-fu hasn't turned up any useful info.

I'll probably only ever use it with my '80s era Guinness faucet, so once I set the percentages I won't change it. It measures the proportions in SCFH for each, so I'm thinking I'll need to hook it up then blow the outlet wide open to adjust, but on my small scale that would waste a lot of gas. If there's a way I can do it without wasting gas I'd rather go that route.

And please don't just say it's easier to get premix. I already have everything I need, and I'd like to get this working, if for no other reason than the :cool: factor. Besides, there's a chance I may have to start pushing beer over 40+ feet next year, and this will be perfect for that if I can get it figured out.

:mug:
Thanks-
MrH

No luck on my searches, and perlick's site isn't searching for me. Didn't see it in their available manuals and cutsheets either. You see about requesting a pdf copy from them.

I'm in the same boat. Planning on calling Perlick today. The one I bought on ebay didn't have the adjusting key, but the seller managed to contact Perlick and have one sent directly to me. I'm assuming I can call them and inquire about an instruction manual. Right now I assume that if I set my nitro at 50 SCFM that I should have my CO2 set at 16.67 SCFM for a 75/25 mix. I have 2 extra regulators so thinking about putting one on the blender output so that I can set my serving pressure directly at one regulator. That being said, I'm not sure if that will affect the performance of the blender. Also, I need to figure out the proper procedure for setting the initial blend. (Does one have to be set first, what does the purge valve do, etc).

Anyone ever find any info on this? If Perlick helps me out I'll post what I can.

Perlick provided me with pdf instructions. Anyone who needs these can PM me and I'll send a copy. The gist of it is that you have to set the values with the purge valve open. Regulators on both sides should be set to 40 psi (must be equal to blend properly). Perlick recommends 50 SCFM Nitrogen with 15 CO2 SCFM, which is pretty much what I calculated for a 75/25 mix above. Close the purge valve. A third regulator is required at the output to control serving/keg pressure. I'd assume that the serving pressure would be the same as a typical beer gas setup.

My keezer should be pretty sweet when finally set up. I ended up with 5 regulators in my keezer overall, which is basically one more than you need.. 2 for co2 (1 for serving, 1 for carbonating or alternate serving pressure, 1 for gas mixing co2, 1 for nitro, 1 for blended gas output. Will have 4 perlick 525ss and the st/st stout faucet up and running soon. Looking forward to having beers on tap again...

Perlick provided me with pdf instructions. Anyone who needs these can PM me and I'll send a copy. The gist of it is that you have to set the values with the purge valve open. Regulators on both sides should be set to 40 psi (must be equal to blend properly). Perlick recommends 50 SCFM Nitrogen with 15 CO2 SCFM, which is pretty much what I calculated for a 75/25 mix above. Close the purge valve. A third regulator is required at the output to control serving/keg pressure. I'd assume that the serving pressure would be the same as a typical beer gas setup.

My keezer should be pretty sweet when finally set up. I ended up with 5 regulators in my keezer overall, which is basically one more than you need.. 2 for co2 (1 for serving, 1 for carbonating or alternate serving pressure, 1 for gas mixing co2, 1 for nitro, 1 for blended gas output. Will have 4 perlick 525ss and the st/st stout faucet up and running soon. Looking forward to having beers on tap again...

BklynCyclone-
How did the perlick 664B perform? I've been offered one and in my research, ran across your post.

Is this the one you have!!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392332827.746879.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Could you please private messaqe me a PDF of this manual - I have my tanks hooked up and beer ready in a couple of days but can't find instructions as to how I set the 644b up properly for a 75/25 mix and what steps I need to do regarding purging etc... Thank You VERY much in advance.

BklynCyclone-
How did the perlick 664B perform? I've been offered one and in my research, ran across your post.

I bought one of these gas blenders a few months ago and of course I found this thread and in it's 3 year existence, nobody has given a review.

Well, I hooked it up and it works perfectly fine. It was simple to dial in the correct flow rates. It doesn't have the extra safety features of the TruMix, so if I were to run out of N2, my gas blend would become 100% CO2 @ 30psi. Unlike CO2, N2 is compressed gas and the regulator gauge is not going to go from FULL to EMPTY in an instant. If you periodically check the regulator, you will know when you are getting low.

Back