Strawberry blood dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewster2256

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
#WLP570
Yeast Starter
750mL
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Tasting Notes
Sweet as a dubbel, with tart fruity flavors from the strawberries.
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.62 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 7.69 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Golden Ale (White Labs #WLP570) [Starter 750 ml] Yeast-Ale
4.00 lbs Frozen strawberries (no stems)
1.00 oz Irish moss

I prefer to mash at low temperatures, in the range of 149F-152F, but that's a personal preference, mash at higher temperatures if you want a sweeter, thicker beer; although I didn't notice a lack in either.

After primary fermentation is finished (about a week) at ~75F, heat the frozen strawberries in enough water to cover, stirring regularly to avoid burning or cooking the strawberries. Stir and mash the strawberries until you have a strawberry jelly, and allow the temperature to rise to ~180 F to disinfect the fruit. Add the fruit to a sanitized carboy and rack the dubbel over the strawberries. Allow secondary to continue for 3-4 weeks, as you desire, and then rack once more to help clarify the beer. Another week or so and it's ready to bottle

I renamed the dubbel from Strawberry Dubbel to Strawberry Blood Dubbel, because I sliced my hand rather deeply yesterday while racking into tertiary fermentation. I was emptying the 6 1/2 G carboy of sanitation liquid in the sink, and it being wet, it slipped out of my hand. There was a gash at the top of the carboy which cut into the palm of my hand as I tried to rescue the carboy from crashing into the tile in my kitchen. Luckily I slowed down the glass carboy to avoid a break, but didn't save my hand from a painful laceration.

What kind of strawberry flavor do you get with this method? I am trying fruit for the first time and have read a lot of ways to skin the cat but this seems to make the most sense.

Back