Accidentally added the sugar straight to the bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

408Brewer

Reaction score
I have only kegged before, but since I broke my kegerator(bent the gas tube and leaked all the gas) :( I gave bottling a go. I weighed the priming sugar and put it straight into the bucket. I then added the beer from the primary. After bottling all of the beers I realized I never boiled the corn sugar. Until now. everything else was done very sanitary the entire brew. I am not too worried about it, but I figured I would ask if anyone else has done this and what their results were. Thanks guys.
:mug:

I boiled once. All the other bottled batches had the priming sugar added directly to the bucket dry. Just make sure it mixes well and you'll be all set!

I would think you are more likely to have issues with uneven carbonation than with infection. I think boiling the sugar helps it even out in the bottling bucket, but you are probably still fine.

Boiling the sugar and water makes a simple syrup, which will distribute easier in the wort... It's easier/faster to use heat to get the sugar dissolved than to do it cold, or just add the sugar dry into the bottling bucket. If you don't care if the bottles are not carbonated the same, then just dump it in dry. But when you mix it manually, you'll risk oxidizing the brew (not saying you'll get it every time, but your risk is greatly increased)...

I've been priming with honey, until the last batch I bottled. With honey, I would heat up some water, and get the honey to dissolve into that, which was then put into the bottling bucket. Last batch I used turbinado sugar instead (I don't want to use the ultra-processed white sugar, personal choice)... I made a simple syrup out of it, to ensure that it would be evenly distributed. I followed normal practices from that point on... I did let it cool down for a while (covered of course) until I was ready to rack the brew on top of it... We'll see how things are in just over 2 weeks...

I didn't mix it much. I had my siphoning tube at the bottom to reduce oxygenation and just let it fill from the fermenter. I was thinking it would be mixed enough as I had the tube at an angle and the beer was spinning in the bucket. Hopefully it is mixed thoroughly enough.

I've done this for several 1 gallon batches. I think due to the smaller amount (and less liquid turbulance to be able to mix the sugar into the beer), I tend to get some uneven carbonation.
Since I was doing 1 gallon batches (8-10 bottles) there were times I'd just add the dextrose to the bottle itself and had no problem.
I expect that because you had a larger quantity of liquid (and thereby a longer spin time) that you should be getting better dissolvance of the sugar than I did.
Now with my 1 gallon batches, I just add a bit of boiled water from a hot water heater and swirl to dissolve it (rather than boil together)

Well, I know sugar doesn't dissolve well in cold liquids. I dunno about room temp though. I'd suspect you may have under or uneven carbonation but I wouldn't worry about infection. Bacteria actually can't survive very easily in pure sugar. It's too dry of an environment.

Back