Batch Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psuchunk03

Reaction score
Ok... my buddy and I are brewing an IPA next week and breaking in my newly constructed A/G equipment.

We'll be batch sparging and sparging calculators are estimating we'll need about 4.25 gallons of sparge water. Ok... but, my mash tun is a 10 gallon round cooler, so I have the capacity to hold ALL of the sparge water and grains during the batch sparge. Is it better to do the batch sparge all at once? Or, better to divide the 4.25 gallons sparge water in half and do two smaller batch sparges?

I like doing two separate sparges even though I have room for one big one. I feel like I have a better chance of extracting all the sugars by draining the tun after the mash and then doing one more round of sparging.

In my opinion the extra stirring involved in making the second sparge water addition could help disturb alot of sugars that may have been missed in the first round of sparging. I'm sure others may say that they like doing one round of sparging. This is going to be one of those things where theres no right way or wrong way, but two rounds should yield a higher efficiency.

Just like a clothes washing machine do two rinses with about half of your 175-180 degree water for each (close is close enough). stir well before draining on both.

There's a growing camp out there that says a single sparge saves enough time to not worry about the loss you'll get from a lack of a second sparge.

Kaiser's done some experiments on sparging, and it's a good read at braukaiser.com.

Double batch no waiter here....... just a good stir.

80-85% depending on the day with 10 gallon igloo and copper manifold.

Back