Bottling in Plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefe21

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice on bottling. I will be using 2L and 0.5L plastic pop bottles and wanted to know how much space should I leave at the top of the bottle to ensure good carbonation?

Thanks a lot

None. When I used to use plastic I'd squeeze the bottle while putting the cap on so the beer was right up to the rim. The bottle expands as the beer carbonates, so you can even tell by the firmness of the bottle when the beer is carbed.

Interesting, thanks!

Is there any time difference when carbonating in glass vs. plastic or is it generally the same length of time?

I just fill to the top of the bottle (I use a wand) then the volume the wand takes up creates a headspace. No difference in time between plastic and glass, in my experience.

Not trying to derail but since the subject of plastic is up... what about using clear 5gal plastic water bottles for fermenting. I have half a dozen of them sitting around.

Haven't brewed a thing yet but doing some investigating... fun site!

Not trying to derail but since the subject of plastic is up... what about using clear 5gal plastic water bottles for fermenting. I have half a dozen of them sitting around.

Haven't brewed a thing yet but doing some investigating... fun site!

Search for this and you'll see people generally say it's not a good idea.

Search for this and you'll see people generally say it's not a good idea.

Actually if he searches he will find that it is actaully oK to use them as long as the reclycing code is <2>. HE can start by looking at the similar threads box below, or doing a search, there's probably 1,000 threads about it on here.

Great, thanks for the replies guys. Will be bottling tomorrow with some added knowledge and confidence now.

Cheers!

Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice on bottling. I will be using 2L and 0.5L plastic pop bottles and wanted to know how much space should I leave at the top of the bottle to ensure good carbonation?

Thanks a lot

Are these empty soda bottle? If so:

Remember, that PET is permiable to CO2. So after three weeks when your beer is fully carbed. You will probably start to loose CO2 through the plastic.

I'd say that 2L should be much better for longer retention of CO2, due to the ratio of beverage in contact with the bottle.

Same here, I probably have 20 of the dang things out in a shed (don't ask) all <7> BAH!

I use to get water delivered at my warehouse and got p!ssed at the company doing it last year and stopped. They left me with (and billed me for) about 6 of them. I'm just delving into this home brew thing but saw those and thought... hmmmm... I could put a ton of beer in those. Guess not?

I'll get some glass.

How about using plastic buckets instead? Fraction of the price of glass, don't worry about breakage, lighter, etc., etc.

Since you wanted to use plastic in the first place, clearly one of your concerns wasn't gas permeability (which is the major factor that fuels the glass vs. plastic debate).

Remember, that PET is permiable to CO2. So after three weeks when your beer is fully carbed. You will probably start to loose CO2 through the plastic.

I haven't noticed any reduction in carbonation with plastic bottles, and I have had some that have been in there a few months, I would hazard a guess that you wouldn't lose much before the 12-month mark. I do still use glass for long-term storage, and usually drink any that is in plastic within 6 months anyway.

Please don't over frustrate , I'm using 1.5L bottles for beer. They are clear but I am keeping well away from sunlight. They have carbed up well and will be ready in 2 week's.

Latest posts

Back