Is it possible to keg in the mini kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob01

Reaction score
Is it possible to set up a keg system using the 5L mini or something similar. Would also like to use Co2.

Yup- Main issue is they don't last as long as actual kegs. With proper care and cleaning, you can get I'd say 6+ uses out of a keg easy. Most, and I, would advise natural carbing, and just use CO2 for pushing your beer and maintaining carbonation. Those little CO2 cartridges will add up. Check out philtap, avanti mini pub, and I believe party pig for some serving ideas. There's DIY ones as well, just search for mini keg. Let us know if you need more details!

If you get the built in gravity taps you won't need to purchase a tap.

Prime with 1 tablespoon of corn sugar.

I've used mine (over 15 of them) over a dozen times each. The only problems I've encountered was when they got too warm (in the garage) and expanded a bit. I tossed the kegs after drinking them. :D

You can use the Tap-a-draft set up with the mini kegs as well. You need an adapter cap but I know it works as I bought that set up for a friend last year and it is working simply super for him.

You can use the Tap-a-draft set up with the mini kegs as well. You need an adapter cap but I know it works as I bought that set up for a friend last year and it is working simply super for him.

Two piece bung- cheap :)

The biggest thing, as posted, is any swelling, of signof rust, toss em! I've seen post of one that had a little dent that once primed, busted and leaked all over the guys carpeted basement. They're fairly cheap, just take care of them. I'd still say go with tap-a-draft of philtap; something with CO2 to maintain carbonation once it's tapped.

And yes, they are the same type; unlike heiniken, they do not have built in pressurized tappy thing on the top (Any other beer, there are a few out there, do come in these mini kegs). They have a pull out tap on the side, or you can do a two piece bung and tap system, or systems like the avanti mini pub have fridge unit/co2 tap.

There's four or five threads on here with some designs that people have modded them and used them..I betcha if you searched for threads like 5 liter mini kegs, miinikegs, mini kegs, and even beer engines, you'd find all the parts lists you need to use, discussions on which types work best,, and even some cad plans that people have come up with for the kegerators.

Or for the price of 2 mini-kegs (10 L/2.64 Gallon total capacity) you can get 1 Cornie keg which will last much longer and hold 5 gallons (18 Liters).

Admittedly that is if you get a good deal but they are out there. I too once thought about and even tried some mini-kegs. Save your money. It is much mre economical in the long run to go with corny kegs. Start up costs sem really daunting but over the long haul you will save.

That is just one mans opinion

You decide.

If you are steadfast about going this way, yes, please search there are MANY threads about it and MANY webpages out there with all kinds of info. ;)

Back