Dumb and easy noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
The local supplier is bringing in their annual harvest along with other juices from CA, PA, and NY. The local stuff is priced at like $6 a gallon and I figure this would be a cheap way to make some decent wine from local vinyards.

Anyway, the kits all make 6 gallons. Do I need to make 6 gallons, or can I just use my 5 gallon carboys? If I use the 5 gallon carboys do I need to make 4 gallons, or can I just get 5 gallons of juice and let the yeast work it's magic?

Any help is much appreciated. (also posted question on winemakingtalk)

-Mike

Yes you can do 5gallons of wine in a 5gallon carboy, no krausen. good to go.

Now this is wierd. I spoke with the guy bringing in all the juice earlier today. He said I would need to do less than 5 gallons for the primary (in a 5 gallon carboy) as it would blow off. ??

I would never want to leave the lid off unless I'd be storing the stuff in a completely sanitary environment. I'm just trying to figure out how much bubbling I'd get.

I have several carboys and a pail, Not sure how I want to divide up the purchase. Oriuginally I figured 5 gallons of each. Now I am thinking 6 gallons of three different juices divided among the carboys I got.

Back