any reliable way to produce a drinkable stout in 2.5 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metal0130

Reaction score
OK, I am in the middle of fermenting a batch of stout. It has been in the carboy for just shy of two weeks now (primary and only fermenter) and I am now looking for advice on producing a drinkable stout in 2.5 to 3 additional weeks.

now before you tell me to just be patient and wait longer... I can't - well, I can, But I will miss my opportunity. See, my brother is coming home on leave from the army from the 15th through the first of the month and if I let my beer fully mature, it wont be ready before he leaves again (and I wont see him for another year). He has said he wants to drink a tall dark beer with me and has no idea that I am making any on my own. So its kind of a bonding thing with my younger brother.

so, would it be safer to cut fermenting at two weeks? Or ferment a bit longer and cut conditioning short by a week? I am willing to accept that my beer will be a tad green as long as it may still be drinkable. so really, whats worse for the beer, not enough fermenting time or not enough conditioning time?

sorry for the long post :)

Are you bottling or kegging with force carbonation?

If bottling, you need to bottle it now, provided your fermentation is complete. Since you've been in the primary for two weeks, it probably is, but you should confirm that with your hydrometer.

If you have to wait to bottle, you might have good carbonation by the end of the year, but you might not. If you bottle today, you should have good carbonation by New Year's Eve.

I hope it all works out!

TL

Thanks for your help, and I am bottling the beer. So I guess I will get my stuff together and ready to go for tonight or some time tomorrow. I too hope it works out, Either way, it was a great learning exp.

thanks again.

5 weeks can be enough for a stout, if the ABV isn't over 5%. And even if it doesn't carbonate fully, stouts are good at low carbonation levels. Just pour gently.

metal0130 said:
OK, I am in the middle of fermenting a batch of stout. It has been in the carboy for just shy of two weeks now (primary and only fermenter) and I am now looking for advice on producing a drinkable stout in 2.5 to 3 additional weeks.

now before you tell me to just be patient and wait longer... I can't - well, I can, But I will miss my opportunity. See, my brother is coming home on leave from the army from the 15th through the first of the month and if I let my beer fully mature, it wont be ready before he leaves again (and I wont see him for another year). He has said he wants to drink a tall dark beer with me and has no idea that I am making any on my own. So its kind of a bonding thing with my younger brother.

so, would it be safer to cut fermenting at two weeks? Or ferment a bit longer and cut conditioning short by a week? I am willing to accept that my beer will be a tad green as long as it may still be drinkable. so really, whats worse for the beer, not enough fermenting time or not enough conditioning time?

sorry for the long post :)

Funny you ask I was just reading
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42293
they have a stout that looks good...

Also keep plenty of it back in a dark cool closet so when he comes home again in another year you guys can have some more.

I was reading in the BYO this morning and they said that Old Rasputin, Imperial Stout (9% alcohol) from North Coast was sold to the public after 3 weeks because it was so well balanced (meaning they put a bunch of Hi alpha Hops in it).

:mug: Thank your brother for his service :mug:

Best wishes for a happy new year

+1 for corn sugar rather than DME

also, set aside a solid 2 hours for your bottling time. Clean the bottles first (if htey are dirty), then sanitize, then fill and cap.

Back