Sorachi questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfan

Nice Beaver....
Reaction score
Has anybody gotten to the tasting stage with a batch using the Sorachi Ace hops? I'm curious as to how the lemony aroma translates in the brew as I'm toying around with some recipe ideas for a lemon-lime brew for SWMBO. She seems to enjoy the fruit-beers with a fairly strong nose and I would like to see if I can get that aroma across. If you are at that stage, please let me know what type of beer it's in and how you hopped it so I can get an idea of its' effects.

Thanks!!!

I'd like to know too.

(Is there a rule about not bumping 6 yr old posts?)

I make a summer ale with Sorachi and Falconers Flight. The aroma is citrus/spicy and I get a flavor more in line with grapefruit than lemon. That being said it's probably the Falconers coming through. This years Sorachi has a bit more Dill in the nose than I remember form last year, this comes out a bit in the beer as well. All told the Summer ale is a hit even with the BMC crowd.

I recently did a summertime pale ale using an ounce of Citras at 2 minutes and and ounce of Sorachi Ace at flameout (5 gallon batch). Nice citrus/lemon aroma, and BIG citrus/lemon taste. Was a big hit at the Fourth of July cookout I took it to, even among the BMC drinkers. I'll definitely make this recipe again.

I'd love to hear what other folks are doing with Sorachi Ace. It's a really interesting variety and worth experimenting with.

HeadyKilowatt said:
I recently did a summertime pale ale using an ounce of Citras at 2 minutes and and ounce of Sorachi Ace at flameout (5 gallon batch). Nice citrus/lemon aroma, and BIG citrus/lemon taste. Was a big hit at the Fourth of July cookout I took it to, even among the BMC drinkers. I'll definitely make this recipe again.

I'd love to hear what other folks are doing with Sorachi Ace. It's a really interesting variety and worth experimenting with.

Did you get any dill flavor? Im hearing a lot about dill flavor that doesnt sound that great.

I certainly haven't noticed any dill flavor, but the guy at my LHBS did warn me that he had experienced some "cat piss" flavor with using Sorachis as a bittering hop. He said he wouldn't use them any earlier than the last 20 minutes of the boil at most. Maybe some of the compounds giving him "cat piss" are the same ones giving other folks dill. Might be best to stick with using these as a late addition hop.

Like I said, I put them in at flameout and really liked the results.

I did a Sorachi Ace/Pacific jade saison:

Sorachi Jade Saison

Its pretty intense lemon. Good to try it out, but i most likely wont be using it again. Pine-sol, lemonade, dill. i dunno maybe a touch of it would be better than a majority.

I would say more dill aroma than flavor. I don't want to scare anyone away, I think Sorachi is a great hop and the Lemon/citrus does come though but I think it is either heighted or deminished depending on what supporting hops are used.. I just re-brewed my summer ale with an Amarillo addition and I dry hopped with Centennial and Ahtanhum. I'll report back once I drink it and let you know the flavor profile.

I made a Rosemary Rye Saison last year with Saaz and Sorachi and the Lemon did come out in that beer.

I make a sorachi pale wheat and its awesome. For 1.056 in ten gallons, one oz each at 60, 30, 15, & 5 minutes. I used wb06 and us05 llast time aand I prefer the 05. Really great summer drinker. No dill, but not sure it'll replace a lemon addition if you enjoy a fruited beer. One of my favorite hops

I just did a rye saison with perle, saaz, and sorachi. Used sorachi at 15 mins and 5 mins. I also added zest of 5 key limes at whirlpool and 5 more into secondary with another ounce f sorachi. It has been in secondary on the limes for 3 days now and I just pulled a sample tonight. Lime is not overpowering but certainly present. I don't get pinesol from it at all nor am I picking up any dill. I repst once I get it carbed up....but the samples have been very promising. Also, used the wyeast french saison strain (cant remember the numbers exactly, 3711 maybe?) And it finished up at 1.004. That yeast is a savage

one of my next batches will be using them

Naughty Kitty Abyssinian Wheat
American Wheat or Rye Beer
Type: All Grain Date: 7/8/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer: Glynn Brown
Boil Size: 6.60 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.50 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal Est Mash Efficiency 85.1 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Rahr Pale Malt 2 row (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 50.0 %
5 lbs Wheat, White (Cargill) (2.9 SRM) Grain 2 50.0 %
0.25 oz Motueka [7.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 5.7 IBUs
0.25 oz Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 4.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 4.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 3.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 1.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) [124.21 ml] Yeast 8 -

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.049
Est Final Gravity: 1.012

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs
Sparge Water: 4.67 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 12.50 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 4.67gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

My Summer Ale (Partial mash). I used to brew it all grain until I tried it partial mash for the extract brewers that come in the store. I will never brew it all grain again, this is just as good as the original recipe. Ferment with Wyeast 1007 (preferred) or US-05

Boil Size: 6.78 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.85 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 56.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 23.4 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 14.6 %
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3 8.8 %
8.8 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.4 %
4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5 46.8 %
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [10.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 8.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Falconer's Flight [11.40 %] - Boil 15.0 Hop 7 4.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [11.40 %] - Boil 10.0 m Hop 8 13.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Falconers Flight [11.40 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop 9 3.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [10.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [11.40 %] - Aroma Steep Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [10.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 m Yeast 13 -
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [11.40 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Ahtanum [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

I used Zythos and Sorachi in a rye wheat IPA and it was great. Sorachi is a great bittering hop, nice and clean imo.

I've been thinking about picking some Sorachi up to dry hop a gallon of Berliner Weiss. I think the lemony aroma would be a great compliment.

Bump. Has anyone dry hopped with sorachi? Does it give more lemon flavor

I did an all Sorachi Saison, dry hopped with more Sorachi. It was a major lemon/dill bomb.....way too much! Mellowed after a couple of months and didn't finish up too bad. It's a nice hop just be careful how/where you use it.

I'm brewing a saison as well. So it looks like I'm better with sorachi as bitter and maybe dry hop my Saaz or Willamette. Want to incorporate ek goldings but probably too many hops to stay in style. Thanks!

You might like it as a dry hop. The problem I had was that my palate gets a lot of "dill" along with the lemon.....it tasted like sweet lemon-flavored pickle juice. :drunk:

I've got an IPA going now with sorachi as a buttering and 45min addition.

Tossed in some cascade, magnum and chinook as well.

Well find out in about 5 weeks

I just bottled the Berliner Weisse I dry hopped with Sorachi Ace. I'll report back once it's carbed and conditioned but when I bottled it it tasted like lemonade in a good way. I didn't pick up on the dill but that may become more apparent with carbonation.

Back