Keggle JMZ Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmzcustomz

Reaction score
Well some of the local brewers have had decent reviews of my brew keggle. Had a few buddies come over today to get their kegs reworked. I purchased some stainless wire and we got to work. Here is one of them. Still have to get the hardware to weld in the bungs for his electric heating element and thermocouple. Let's here what y'all think. .

image-416558190.jpg

An interesting take on the keggle idea!
How do those handles do when it's full? It seems like they'd want to bend up...

I test all handles by filling it completely full. Because the are recycled from the top (which is curved) they have a natural arc to them. This arc plus top and bottom welding of the contact points creates a very strong handle. Hell I lifted myself off the ground leaning on the handles. I'm about 250-260lbs. That little arc makes a world of difference. I'll try to post pics of mine later. It shows a close up of the handle.

need info on welding setup and cost of stainless wire

im guessing mig with argon gas and stainless wire

is the strength at the top of the keg compromised at all ? does it have any flex in it when you fill it and lift ?

Welding set up is a Hobart 140. Think I am using an 80/20 argon mix. I am not sure how it will react with the ss wire as I have read conflicting reports on the gas to use. As for flex at the top, the two we did yesterday are just ground smooth with a mild bevel. They had very minimal flex but could if you applied force. Mine I hand rolled the lip over so it is strong as ever. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking an rolled it inward. So I hit it with bleach water a day or so before brew day to kill anything that may be in it. I plan on cutting the lip off and re-rolling it outward. As mentioned when I get on my computer this am I'll post pics of mine. The one guy was real excited as he does BIAB and said the old normal opening was a real pain in the arse.

Oh cost of ss wore will vary depending where you go. I got mine on our contractors account so 2lb spool was under $12. I think normally it is about $20-$30.

Here are some pics of my keggle as mentioned. Sorry for crappy cell phone pics.

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

Shoot keep forgetting to add that my handles are cut to angle together creating a small handle on the out side, I did the others with a wider handle as they make great mash paddle/spoon rest while boiling.

Latest posts

Back