Fruit Racking Tricks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
Anyone have and tricks or contraptions they have used for siphoning beer without all the troublesome fruit clogging? I racked out of the secondary with some success, but still sucked in some fruit particles. I am hoping to have a clear beer so upon my final siphon into keg I was thinking of putting some sort of sanitized mesh device over the end of the siphon…. Has anyone had success with this approach?

I haven't tried this myself but have seen it discussed: attach a stainless or copper pot scrubber onto the end of your racking cane to act as a filter.

mdf191 said:
Do you mean steel wool?

No. I wouldn't use that as little pieces of steel would likely end up in your beer and turn to rust. The kitchen gadjet section of your local grocery store should have these pot scrubbers. They come in plastic, copper and stainless steel.

if your using whole fruit, what I always do is put it in a mesh bag to start with, that way when I go to put it in the keg, I just pull out the bag and keg like normal.

Back